Wilson's - not in a good area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

brentfordmum

Wilson's - not in a good area?

Post by brentfordmum »

Hi,

last few days before CAF is in, please help; Is Wilson's not in a good area? can any of the current parents please give some info? Thanks
fatbananas

Re: Wilson's - not in a good area?

Post by fatbananas »

I would also be interested in hearing opinions on this. I read somewhere here about mugging outside Wilson's? There are police outside Tiffin boys at 'going home' time. Is this particular to boys schools?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
worriedofwallington

Post by worriedofwallington »

Wilson's is on the edge of Roundshaw council estate, which isn't a great area. I'm sure if you google it you would get plenty hits of stories about the problems there, most recently there was a shooting. There are lots of reports of muggings of boys for mobile phones and electronics. We don't live too far away and if we could afford it would move to a nicer area with much less crime.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

A thorny topic. Wilson's and Tiffin Boys, as well as Wallington Boys and Sutton Grammar, are all in not-so-nice areas. Why?

Well, until the proper GS system was destroyed by successive govts and the Greenwich Judgment, these schools had a very different purpose to the one they have now (which is to act as magnets for the mostly rich and mostly heavily tutored who are driven in from miles away) - they were meant to provide a ladder out of poverty and lack of aspiration for the working class kids who lived nearby.

So your little Toby might have to rub shoulders with some of the grubby poor, most of whom probably have to travel out of their area to get to school, thanks to the domination of the GS by the rich and tutored? Poor little Toby .Never mind, the police will ensure he doesn't have to get too close, and he'll soon be at home in Richmond.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

My DS has been at Tiffin for half a term now and has never seen any police outside at going home time :!:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

@fatbananas and brentfordmum

I don't know the area at all but have come across many many good schools in less than stunning parts of other cities - many of them are independent schools.
parents are well aware of the reputation of the area - but still opt to send girls there and compete heavily for places - Nottingham High is one example.

I think before deciding you may have to chat to the school about your concerns to get a clear picture.

PS don't get too concerned about the poster 2 above this post - recurrent comments about schools offering places to children from further away who have passed the test instead of local children.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you herman munster. I've resisted replying until now because I sensed there was form.

And, of course, you're right about schools and areas. My DS is still only 7 and perhaps I'm imagining my young son where, in his place, will stand a 6 foot 3 belligerent, testosterone-fuelled young man, where either the lack of bathing or the Lynx fumes would prevent anyone, muggers or otherwise, from coming near him :lol: . I think it's a legitimate concern but, at the same time, I'm aware it can happen anywhere, especially in the proximity of London; and it's part of growing up, becoming aware of this stuff. I just worry about my baby!! :roll:

But, hey, we would have to be lucky enough to be offered a place there before any of this becomes a real issue :wink:

Oh and didn't mean to alarm you Scoobydoo. I live very near to Tiffins and I've been on the bus going right outside the Tiffin's gate, so I know police have been there on a regular basis. But, that was about a year ago, so perhaps there was a particular issue at that time.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
wallymum

Post by wallymum »

:P I don't know where the people commenting on the area around Wally Boys actually live, but my son in in yr 9 and has walked the 15 minutes to school and back since the beginning, and has never had a single unpleasant incident.
We live very close and having lived in Balham prior to moving here (before the children were secondary age and not knowing about the GS system) I know I feel a lot safer here than I did there. As someone sensibly commented, anywhere in and around London can be "dodgy." You also have to remember that the boys tend to be leaving the school gates in huge numbers and many of them are heading the same way - to bus stops and the train station, including many older boys and 6th formers.
brentfordmum

Post by brentfordmum »

thanks everyone for the positive comments; has definitely put my mind at ease. I understand I'm just worried now, of course my little boy has to grow up and learn to take care of himself whereever he is.
surreydad2010

Post by surreydad2010 »

Hi
Not logged on here in a while but had to comment on this thread!

I think there are two distinct issues - in terms of the area itself - I live in Wallington (Wilsons is in Wallington NOT croydon) and it's lovely, very low in terms of crime compared to inner city- it's in Surrey!!! I would say the same for Tiffins - it's in Kingston, blimey - not exactly Haringey...(not meaning to offend anyone who lives there)

Wilsons has had issues with muggings after school, my son goes there and has had friends who have suffered. The police have already informed us that this is down to gangs travelling from outside of the area and it's a common issue in many London or near London schools. As the busses get busy around leaving time some of the pupils go to the stops further afield where there is no presence by the teachers or drive bys by the police. My DS is under strict instructions to just wait at one of the main stops.
At the end of the day unless you are picking your children up from school every day then this is a problem everywhere and certainly no worse at the Wallington schools than anywhere else in the surrounding areas.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now