Checking lumps and bumps

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Checking lumps and bumps

Post by pheasantchick »

October is Breast Cancer week. Please can anyone who gets a lump on their breast, or anywhere else on their body get it checked out.

My sister got a lump on her breast three weeks ago and will having it removed tomorrow. There is no breast cancer (or any cancer) in our family, apart from one Granddad who died in his 70's 30 years ago (not from breast cancer, although men can get it also). It could happen to anyone of us at any time. Although we won't know for sure until we get the test results back, the prognosis is good and we're all assuming she'll be okay.

Remember, not all lumps are cancerous. It could be a cyst, abscess, or a commonal garden spot (who-ever told me that only teenagers get them lied! :evil: )

Thanks!
vasu

Re: Checking lumps and bumps

Post by vasu »

Brilliant initiative, Pheasantchick!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hear, hear! My mum had a lump on her breast a few years back and it caused a fair amount of worry. Turned out to be a cyst. Best to get anything unusual checked out as soon as possible and treated if necessary than spend ages putting it off and worrying about it.

I wish your sister well. Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.
pmmum

Post by pmmum »

I found a lump whilst on holiday this summer and I have to say GP and screening unit were fantastic. GP said she thought it was nothing but refered me - I got an appointment at the screening unit within 5 days and had several tests, biopsies etc. Then a scary 2 weeks waiting for results - fortunately all fine (a fatty lump that apparently lots of people have including the (male) consultant who gave me results). Everyone was lovely and so quick. He re-inforced that I should do a check once a month (with flat of hand not finger tips). So I echo the sentiment - do regular checks and get anything unusual seen to immediately.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My sister had the op yesterday and all seemed to have gone well. We'll find out in the next couple of weeks what type of cancer it is and how serious it is, and what treatment she'll need.

Thanks for all your best wishes.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Best wishes to your sister, Pheasantchick.

It's really hard for everyone when someone in the family has breast cancer. Last year, my mum was diagnosed with it and had to have her whole breast removed. A month later the cancer had spread and she had to undergo another operation. It's been a year now and thankfully, there are no signs of cancer. :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you for this thread Pheasantchick you are so right. My very close friend had breast cancer four years ago, she had a breast removed, had a reconstruction and a total hysterectomy. She had chemo and radiotherapy and is now cancer free and in very good health. She was so stoical and it humbled me to watch her so bravely endure her treatment. Thank goodness she went to the doctor as soon as she found a lump.

I will keep you and your sister in my thoughts and send my very best wishes. :D
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Very close to my heart, this thread! Have lost a very dear friend last week to breast cancer, it really put my 11+ stress into perspective!!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Aaaargh.....just had a horrendous week. My health area extended breast screening to include people ageing 47 to 73. So I was called for my first mammogram( I'm only a baby of 46 - apparently that makes me a rising 47 :lol: ). Got the result last Friday, and had to return today for an assessment. I have spent the last week in my own coffin, and my husband was very supportive, but I couldn't say anything to the children, which made me terribly grumpy all week. :( Went to one of these one stop clinics today...had some more mammograms....ouch, and a huge investigation from the doctor and an ultrasound, and phew.....it's just cysts.

Having spent the last week googling, I was in a horrible place this morning. I can only reiterate....make sure you are breast aware, and go for the screening if you are called. The lovely doctor examining me today told me that if the cyst had been cancerous at its size of 1cm, it would have been cured by the treatments now available.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Huge big cyber hugs to you! I'm glad all is well.

The good thing about breast cancer in this country is that the resources are good, and you can generally get seen and action taken quickly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now