grammer school vs first school of preference urgent

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jewel

grammer school vs first school of preference urgent

Post by jewel »

Hi I was looking for some advice maybe some parents have already gone through this. I am a loss at what to do my daughter has mild cerebal palsy she uses a wheelchair for long distances she was going to sit the elevn plus exam however if we do that we need to put that on the preference form first if she did not get into the grammer the next comprehensive school is very oversubscribed so if I put it second we are at risk of loosing the place due to not putting it first. My daughter has a statement so we could name the comp on the statement but then what do we do about the grammer
The comprehensive is suitable as it would suit my daughter extremely well as it is all flat however I feel that if she has the brains to pass the grammer why should she not try however we have no gaurantee that she will pass. My daughter is confused because she likes both equally. I have tried talking to our local seco authority and each time I got a different answer. Currently she has levels of 4a for maths and literacy.
hermanmunster

Re: grammer school vs first school of preference urgent

Post by hermanmunster »

If you put a grammar school first on the CAF and your daughter does not get a high enough score then your second choice school will become her first choice and she will be allocated a place in line with their over sub policy as if it had been her first choice. If she has a statement with that school on it then she will be high up the list to get a place.
jewel

Post by jewel »

Thank you so much for your quick reply, my main concern is this that the comprehensive that is most suitable we are slightly out of its catchment therefore by putting it second the special needs quota will already be taken by people who are putting it first. I hope this post is making sense
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You will not be disadvantaged by putting the comprehensive second, because it's an 'equal preference system'. (The only reason for preferences is in case you are eligible for a place at more than one school on your list - you will then get offered the highest preference school which has a place for you.)

Your application for the comprehensive will be considered at the same time as everyone else's.

There is no special needs quota.

Hope this reassures you.
Etienne
aargh

Post by aargh »

Capers did a good post on the way this works, but I can't find it at the mo.

Basically the LEA give a list to each school of everyone who put them as a preference on the CAF. They do not tell the schools what rank you put them on the CAF.
The schools then list everyone in order of how well they fit the school's admittance criteria, the rank you gave them on your CAF has no bearing on this, they only look at how you fit their criteria and do not know what you put on the CAF. For a Grammar, they look at your pass mark. For a comp they look at your siblings, distance from the school and SEN too.
The schools pass their ranked lists back to the LEA.
The LEA then look at your first choice on your CAF and see if you are high enough on that school's list to get in. If so they will offer you a place there.
If you are not, they look at the school you put second and see if you are high enough on their list to get in. The fact that you put it second gives no disadvantage because the schools make their ranked list without that knowledge. The CAF ranking just tell the LEA which school you want them to look at for you. They will do their best to fit you in to the highest on your list that you qualify for.
jewel

Post by jewel »

Thankyou both, I guess what is confusing me is that with regard to your statement you have to name the school you prefer. The comprehensive is oversubscribed so I was informed this is a reason for putting it first. I was also inofrmed that a school can only take a certain amount of children with special needs and that is what I meant by its quota. I am just at a loose end with it all.
aargh

Post by aargh »

You just need to think which school you like best and put it first.
If you want the grammar at all, put it first or you will not get it. If you like the Comp best put it first, but put it second if you like the Grammar best. The comp will still count as your first preference if you don't get the grammar. You will not have put yourself at a disadvantage.
Though you must put the oversubscribed preferred comp before other comps you'd rather not have.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

You said that she 'was going to sit' the eleven plus exam, so did she's sit it or not?If not, then she won't get into the grammar.
jewel

Post by jewel »

. she is due to sit the grammer test as that notification is required by the grammer schools before you put the preference form in
. we liked the grammer school best but competition is extremely high as we all know if she passes great if she fails we may be at risk of loosing the second place because it is over subscribed and we dont live in the catchment area for it. The second choice is the only comp in the area that would cater for her needs.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Children with Statements of SEN go through a different system. Therefore you will not be "in competition" for a place with catchment area or any other children. Although you may be asked to express your school preference now, the Statement does not actually have to be finalised until February. Asking for the Grammar school should not preclude your daughter getting a place at the suitable comprehensive if she does not make the grade for entry. Also there should definitely not be "quotas" of children with SEN at any school. If the comprehensive is the only school in the area which can meet your daughter's needs apart from the Grammar you are in a very strong position.

Where a parent of a child with a Statement expresses a preference for a maintained school the LA must name that school unless it is:
1. Unsuitable to the child's age, ability, aptitude or SEN
2. Incompatible with the provision of
- efficient education of others, or
- efficient use of resources

The tests for those exceptions above are much stronger under the law which applies - Education Act Schedule 27(3)(3) - than they are under the law which pertains to children going through the "normal" system who fall under the School Standards and Frameworks Act.

Nowadays more and more schoosl are becoming academies, however, and the above does not apply in the same way as they are not maintained schools. Most, though, act in a very similar way to maintained schools when dealing applications for children with statements.

If you are not getting clear answers from your LA try talking to your local Parent Partnership Service or alternatively to IPSEA who have a helpline (but can be hard to get through sometimes).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now