Dr Challoners GS for OOC

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

munch

Dr Challoners GS for OOC

Post by munch »

At the risk of being laughed out of this forum...we are ooc and have decided to put Bucks schools as choice number 2, 3, and 4 on CAF-my query is if I was to put Dr Challoners GS down as number 2 is there a tiny chance DS may get in? The school's website does state they took some ooc for this year. We are in TW15. My reasoning was that if it has taken us this long to consider Bucks as do-able in whatever shape or form, then we may as well put in the most popular school in and see what happens. If it is a blip year again we may be okay?
We may move if DS gets Bucks.
I know the chances are slim but are there any parents who did a similar thing and got in?
Sally-Anne

Re: Dr Challoners GS for OOC

Post by Sally-Anne »

From TW15 to HP6 is around 24 miles. Last year the school allocated places to 11.291 miles http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can check the distance more accurately by using this website and your full postcode and that of the school: http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Jo ... cheparam=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last year was also a huge exception to the normal pattern, as you can see. That is because the school slammed the door on addresses of convenience at extremely short notice. This year people who are desperate to get in will have had time to move house if they want to take the risk of doing so.

I am afraid the answer is therefore pretty firmly "no".
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks Sally-Anne, yes you are correct, it is 24.1 miles exactly.
Could it not be interpreted that the mileage the school went out to was the furthest child, or am I being naive? Is there any way of knowing what the furthest distance was as this would be a helpful element for ooc parents like myself to judge from?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi munch

If the 180th place was given to the furthest child (at 11.291 miles) the allocation profile would show "All Offered" rather than a distance.

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing where the "last" child lived who applied to the school. It could have been 11.292 miles or it could have been someone living abroad!

S-A
munch

Post by munch »

Many thanks Sally-Anne...will most likely not waste a preference on Dr C then.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

munch just to add that DCGS do quite often have a few spaces in Y8 and Y9 – they don’t advertise the fact but it happens all the same – and the school administers its own entrance tests in those years so if your DS was really keen and/or you weren’t happy with his secondary school you could consider applying the following year.
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks Rob Clark - that is definitely worth knowing, especially if we have moved closer by then. Do you know if the entrance exam is any different to the 11+?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I believe it’s subject specific rather than VR, but not absolutely certain as DS is now Y11. I’m sure Sally-Anne or Etienne will be along to provide more details :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The tests are English, Maths and Science, although I know someone whose son took the tests this year and I don't recall Science being mentioned among his results. I will check it out.

The full criteria for late testing are given in the Admissions Policy here: http://www.challoners.com/index.aspx?se ... ons-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
munch

Post by munch »

Many thanks RC and SA.
Will bear that in mind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now