Why isn't there a Downton Abbey thread?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Why isn't there a Downton Abbey thread?

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks forward to their weekly sitting of Downton Abbey, and the various will-they-or-won't-they scenarios. I might actually watch live tonight, as forvthe last few weeks we've been watching Spooks (great last episode).

Which characters do you like? Is lord Grantham going to have an affair tonight? How many babies are going to be named Lavinia now ( in the same way that we have a lot of 20+ Kylies etc)?
Moonlight

Re: Why isn't there a Downton Abbey thread?

Post by Moonlight »

We really enjoy our weekly fix of Downton Abbey and my 16 year old daughter is now a fan too. Maggie Smith plays a brilliant part (can't remember her character name though), Lady Mary, Matthew Crawley, Lord Grantham. I like them all, probably not too keen on Lady Grantham's American accent though! My daughter thinks that Lord Grantham will have an affair with the new maid. Who knows, but will be sad to see the current series end. A Christmas special is planned though, I believe, which will be something to look forward to.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

I also love Downton Abbey. It's perfect Sunday evening entertainment.

I'm sure an affair is on the cards, and also that Matthew will have a miraculous recovery, get up out of his wheelchair and walk straight into Lady Mary's arms probably. I can't work out what's going to happen with the maid who had the baby (Ethel?) - something's brewing there I'm sure.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Glad I'm not the only one who gets all the names muddled.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Moonlight wrote:probably not too keen on Lady Grantham's American accent though!
Lady Grantham is American because her character is based on the many American heiresses who married into the British Aristocracy at that exact period. They brought in money and got prestige and position in return. In particular Lady Caernarvon has been mentioned as a model for Lady Grantham, she funded her husband's archeological digs especially the one that unearthed King Tut's tomb.

Or did you mean it's just not a pleasant accent?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I'm a big fan too. I agree Lord Grantham is going to have an affair and Matthew is going to recover completely. Will Mary's new fiance let her go? Will he threaten to ruin her if she leaves him?

My favourite character is played by Maggie Smith (what is her name?). She is a wonderful actress.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!
aargh

Post by aargh »

I can see why Lady Mary might go for Matthew, but why would he want her?
Lady Mary seems rather unpleasant to me. I also get irritated by her voice. She has the same intonation regardless of what is going on, no expression whatever and the tone makes her sound perpetually bored or acrimonious.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

There is a DA thread in rehab. Goes by the title "It's official, I'm posh!"
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

aargh, I was referring to the accent itself not being very authentic.

I didn't think that Lady Mary was being particularly pleasant last night to Mr Carson but she probably realises what a mistake it would be to marry Sir Richard especially now that Matthew is going to walk again (well, probably anyway).
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Moonlight, I think Lady Grantham is played by Elizabeth Mcgovern who actually is American (wasn't she one of the Brat Pack in the 1980s?).

Aargh I agree with you about Lady Mary. It's not just the voice, but the flitting eyes which get to me.