War horse

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jeepers

War horse

Post by Jeepers »

Has anyone seen this play? I have a friend who saw it and said it was too upsetting for children. The website says age 10+. DC (age 10) has seen the tv ads and has asked to be taken for the long promised post exam treat...I would appreciate a second opinion on it if anyone is able to help?

Thanks

J
mum23*

Re: War horse

Post by mum23* »

Have you read the book? I read it with my son (same age as yours) last year and we both loved it but it did make us cry in a couple of bits. I have not seen the play but really want to and wouldn't hesitate but it depends on your child I suppose. I think Snowdrop went to see it and said it was great. Might be nice to see the play before the film comes out.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Definitely see the play before the film. The way it is staged is so beautifully done. I presume the film will be realistically presented, so see the play first for the style of it.
Too traumatic for my sensitive DCs, though they are great theatre buffs (having sat through many of my productions as toddlers and pre-school being pampered by my actors!) so I think they would love the style of the performance.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thanks for asking this. I am really interested too. Would love my DS to see it but the oldest is 9 and very sensitive to any harm coming to animals. (Up all night in tears at the tortoise falling down the well in My Family and Other Animals.)

Should we hold off getting tickets for the show? The film? Reading the book? Or is one more accessible/palatable than the others?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh that's it, you've got me started!!!!!!

War Horse is quite simply the most glorious stage play I've ever seen. I took my dd (then aged 13) to see it and even she was mesmerised by it.

I didn't think it was overly sensitive regarding animals (not read the book so don't know how it's portrayed in there). I would have said it was more sad than portraying of harm (or maybe I'm too insensitive?????).

Anyhow, I second the suggestion of seeing the play first, then the film.

I'm a real nerd when it comes to WWI and really, after seeing the play, thought the film would be rubbish, but I gotta say, after seeing the previews we're certainly looking forward to it - although it just won't top the play, simply because of the spectacular puppets (we sat fourth row back, on the right hand side - the best seats in my opinion!) it still looks very worthwhile going to see.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Menagerie, the only way you might get an idea is to read it and see if it would upset your DS. 9 might be a wee bit young. I blubbed when I read it out loud to DS but ultimately it has a happy ending (for the main character). I also cried when reading Little House on the Prairie set of books to DDs when Jack the dog died and I have cried and almost do every time I read Dogger by Shirley Hughes!

Hi Snowdrops, I thought I remembered you seeing it on stage and saying it was great.
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

I took DS1 to see it when he was 11 and was learning about WW1 at school. We both loved it! He now says War Horse is his favourite ever book (and he's not a particular Michael Morpurgo fan) - he was half way through reading it when we say the play. I'm hoping to take DS2 soon.

Personally I wouldn't take young ones if they are sensitive creatures as it is very dramatic/sad/loud in places. I would say the age guidance of 10+ sounds about right, so if you know your child is much more sensitive then the average 10 year old, praps wait a while.
Rosette
Torty

Post by Torty »

A great thread ... we were thinking about taking DD to this but having read your comments will try the book first. I cry at every film we go to see :oops: The Smurfs, Rio, you name it :lol: :oops:
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

My 10 year old son was not upset at all (he read the book before it) on the other hand I cried :lol: .
Amber

Post by Amber »

My son and his friend saw the play a couple of months ago when they were both 12 and loved it. Since then Michael Morpurgo came to the Cheltenham literature festival to talk about the play and his talk was billed as suitable for children over 12. So I guess that gives an indication of what a suitable age might be.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now