Diary of Anne Frank

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Torty

Diary of Anne Frank

Post by Torty »

As a family we were discussing The Diary of Anne Frank and wondered at what age this is covered in schools and when to introduce it to our DD.

We were going to buy the book ... has anyone seen the DVD? Is there a museum / exhibition etc in the UK? Thank you :)
yoyo123

Re: Diary of Anne Frank

Post by yoyo123 »

They read it in year 6 in my school. Also watched Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
a book by daughter was very moved by was When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit, I wasn;t sure as she was only 9 , but the child in the book is 9 also.

This may be of use
http://www.annefrank.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/ann ... -9046.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.history.ac.uk/ihr/Focus/Holo ... seums.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are some around the country too, I googled Anne Frank exhibition
Torty

Post by Torty »

Thanks yoyo 123. I read The Boy in Striped Pyjamas and cried so much and it lived with me for months. :( A very powerful book and I wondered if DD was too young for it … mainly because I felt so overwhelmed. We discussed it together instead. I mentioned the book to my parents a couple of days ago and cried just telling the story :oops:

Thank you for the links. We went to the Titanic Exhibition at the o2 (it was fab) and hope The Diary of Anne Frank will be there in the future … who knows.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I cried buckets when we watched the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas* , but wondered if they were too young to appreciate what it meant? However I was watching it as a parent and identified with the mother, they were watching it from the child's point of view.

* Mrs Yoyo , bright red nose and eyes at back of classroom, hiccuping with tears..an attractive look!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

My son did Boy in Striped Pyjamas in year 5.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Year 7 for us. Very moving book.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mister Tom (year 6) also got me going :cry:
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

My older 2 DC read Anne Frank when they were in Y5. They were doing a topic on WW2 at school and became interested in Anne's story. They didn't read the book at school but we bought it for them. They both talked a lot about what they had read but weren't in any way distressed by it.

Interestingly my DD, who is now in Y7, took the book out of the library and is presently reading it for a second time. I expect she'll get more out of it as a pre-teen.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Several years ago I visited Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam. Bought a book there and found it very interesting read. I was in my thirties. Now I want to go back there with DD. She half read the book during summer holidays, before year 6. Then she left it, because there are things she does not want to know about just now.
i think the ideal age to read the book is 13, the age Anne started her diary.

BBC series from couple of years ago are very good, sert PG.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

DS read both Anne Frank and Striped Pyjama's in Y5. I did lodge a complaint when he brought a book home in Y3 that dealt with an Indian boy who worked in a rug factory and was regularly beaten by his uncle!