Spelling in the English paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Spelling in the English paper

Post by Manana »

Can anyone tell me whether children are marked down for incorrect spellings in the English paper. I don't mean the spelling section, obviously, but elsewhere?

Many thanks!
madnan

Re: Spelling in the English paper

Post by madnan »

It says on the front of the CSSE past paper that incorrect spelling will be penalised. It doesn't identify how though - whether they lose the mark or an overall percentage reduction is applied - or whether every incidence is penalised.
Manana

Post by Manana »

madnan wrote:It says on the front of the CSSE past paper that incorrect spelling will be penalised. It doesn't identify how though - whether they lose the mark or an overall percentage reduction is applied - or whether every incidence is penalised.
Oooh-now that's interesting! I've just checked the front of the 2010 and 2011 papers and the 2010 one has 11 bullet points of instructions; number 6 being 'incorrect spelling will be penalised'. The 2011 paper has only 10 bullet points-spellings are not mentioned...
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Prior to 2011 there had not been a specific spelling section so perhaps docking marks for incorrect spelling in the whole paper was how they tested it but last year when it was specifically tested they were more lenient in the other sections?
madnan

Post by madnan »

Well, that is interesting! It says it on 2009 & 2010 papers & I didn't really notice it wasn't on 2011. That rationale does make sense though - so what does that mean for this year & not knowing what the format of the English paper will be?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now