Last minute preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fountain

Last minute preparation

Post by Fountain »

Just wondering if anyone who is taking the first Birmingham exam on 12th,

1. What work/tests are you doing in the last few days?

2. Also does anybody know whether the shorter timed sections within the 2
45 minute papers are actually timed or not?

3. Does the child have to get a certain mark in each paper , or are the marks added up to make a total?

Thankyou very much
um

Re: Last minute preparation

Post by um »

To Fountain,

1) I am afraid you'd have to ask ds2 that question as :roll: it is his call, not mine.

2) Yes the shorter sections are usually timed and once a section is over you can't go back to it. However no-one can make any promises as the format of the exam is always liable to change.

3) All the marks are added up to make a total. So a child may be a little weak in one area, but because they were strong in other areas, they still achieve a place.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

I think for some exams they take into account the childs date of birth and then apply a standardisation test score. It can be as much as a few marks in some cases.
Fountain

Re: Last minute preparation/ maths nets

Post by Fountain »

Thank you Um and poluyt for your replies. All this 11+ is new to us, we are first timers.

1. Would you know whether QM is similar to KE/BV exam or is it very different?

2. Has your DS covered nets . We have been told they don't come up on the exam!

Thankyou
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Nets haven't come up in the past, but I don't think you can entirely rule anything out.

The QM test is very similar to KE/BV, they're both provided by the same organisation (University of Durham CEM Centre). The style of questions is likely to be similar in both tests.

Mike
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

I think there maybe some very mild simple algebra type questions as well, can't be sure, one of the more experienced posters could help out here
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

It's quite difficult for dc (or yourself) to do anything during the last couple of days. Best to go over exam techniques and look over past tests rather than doing new ones...be positive.

Do something that is relaxing. Dd took to baking cakes which was quite good as we all got to eat them :D

Re exam format: QM has a different type of 'cloze' (a choice of 3) than KEGs. Last year for KEGs they took out the mental maths (like they did 5 years ago as a one-off). If past experience is anything to go by, then it's likely that a chunk of algebra may feature this year. Who knows? :roll:

Thinking of you all. This time next year, I'll be in the same situation for dc4.

Best of luck for Saturday. :D
Fountain

Post by Fountain »

Hi thank you Mike , DIY Mum and pioyt . Sorry for all the questions but

1. What is Cloze?

2. Would any one recommend extra stationary, or a timer at all?

And thanks again to you all, Good Luck
um

Post by um »

1) Cloze means missing words or letters in a piece of writing. In this case, it is likely to be missing letters.

2) Pencils were supplied when ds1 took the test but you can take your own and a rubber in a clear pencil case.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

With all the best intentions, dc had no time to look at a personal timer; there should be a clock in the exam room. In any case the cd will issue reminders.