Appealing now for Year 7 entry

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slough mum

Appealing now for Year 7 entry

Post by slough mum »

I have a quick question, I have been offered an appeal for my DC who did not pass the 11+ and is currently in a non grammar school (year 7). I appealed at our preferred grammar school but was unsuccesful. I made a complaint with the LGO with a number of reasons and now they have suggested a re-hearing with a fresh panel and clerk. The main reason for the re-hearing is that not all information was taken into consideration.
Is it possible to have a hearing this late and if sucessful a place be offerred this term?
Has anyone had expereince where they had a re-hearing and was sucessful second time round?
slough mum

Re: Appealing now for Year 7 entry

Post by slough mum »

Also, should I be presenting the same case I presented earlier (and was refused), or should I make some changes to my case?

Do I need to take more or further evidence my my DC new (secondary) school?

Any other help or advice would be much appreciated, its been a long journey for me :-(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I made a complaint with the LGO with a number of reasons and now they have suggested a re-hearing with a fresh panel and clerk. The main reason for the re-hearing is that not all information was taken into consideration.
It sounds as if this came to light during the course of the investigation. :)
Is it possible to have a hearing this late
Yes.
and if sucessful a place be offerred this term?
Yes.
Has anyone had expereince where they had a re-hearing and was sucessful second time round?
We have certainly had such cases on the forum in the past. Here are two examples:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18#p117918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... an#p208140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, should I be presenting the same case I presented earlier (and was refused), or should I make some changes to my case?
That depends on whether you think anything could be changed for the better. I'm not sure whether oversubscription was an issue last time - it could be an issue this time.
Do I need to take more or further evidence my my DC new (secondary) school?
Probably not - it may be too soon for them to contribute anything useful.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks Etienne

I am getting a little nervous about doing it second time now. The 1st appeal was granted by LGO because the school wouldn't allow me to appeal. This appeal was obviously unsuccessful.

And now there have been further issues (main one being they did not take all supporting docs into consideration) and breach of code that the LGO has asked for another hearing, the 2nd appeal.

Because this is the 2nd appeal (both requested by LGO) is there a good chance it will be successful? Or will the panel be cautious?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

is there a good chance it will be successful?
As we caution in the Q&As, the statistics (nationally) are that the majority of appeals do not succeed. The success rate for foundation schools is around 31% (but most of these are oversubscription only - you have more to prove if qualification is also an issue).

It's impossible to say what the chances are in your particular case. It depends on:
  • * How strong your academic evidence is as a whole
    * How persuasive any extenuating circumstances are
    * How strong a case the admission authority puts forward to resist further admissions (if it is oversubscribed).
    * whether your reasons for wanting a place at this particular school outweigh any prejudice to the school if they have to take on an extra pupil
    * How strict the appeal panel is in exercising its judgement.
I don't think the fact that it's a re-hearing should make any difference.
Etienne
slough mum

Appeal - Re-test for 11+

Post by slough mum »

I am a re-hearing but my DC did not pass the 11+ and someone has advised me that I should do a re-test.

Does anyone know who or where I can get this done from?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've moved this post here. It's fine to have a new thread for your re-hearing, but please keep to it. It's much easier for us to advise you if all the information about your case is in one place - and not scattered over multiple threads!
someone has advised me
Who is giving you this advice? Is it someone reliable?
that I should do a re-test
What do they mean "you should do a re-test"?
Only the school/consortium can "re-test" - and they're not going to do that for a re-hearing.

If they mean you should get some alternative evidence of ability - additional to anything available from the present or previous school - the only private option I can think of is an EP report.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks Etienne,

The re-test is extra evidence to show DC academic, as my DC did not pass the 11+ due to side affects from medication. Now that they are off the medication would it be worth doing a re-test privately or from a tutor to show that she is of grammar school.

I just need extra evidence to show to the panel on the academic side.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

"Re-test" is the wrong word then - we're talking here about alternative tests.

The sort of evidence you need is set out in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I said earlier on that it's probably too soon for the new school to say much about your child, but it might be worth checking with them that they haven't administered CATs or any similar reasoning tests. (Sometimes this can happen without the parents being told, and without the child being given the results.)

I'm afraid I don't think that a tutor administered test will carry any weight with an appeal panel. (Tutors are not regulated, and may not be viewed as independent.)

This is why I say - with some regret - that the only private option is likely to be the expensive one of an EP report. How much weight that will carry depends on what its findings are - and how the appeal panel view the evidence.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Silly question, but can someone please explain the difference between non lay and lay member?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now