Tutor for 11+ in Reading / Berkshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Somewhat_Anxious

Tutor for 11+ in Reading / Berkshire

Post by Somewhat_Anxious »

Apologies in advance for cross-posting, but I wasn't sure on which section of the forum to post this message.

Can you please recommend an 11+ tutor who is based in Reading or the greater Berkshire and nearby Surrey area? Ideally, this would be someone of whom you have personal experience, or else that a friend of yours has used, and also someone who can tutor for entry to Kendrick and other Berkshire schools. This is for DD1 in year 5, so we are completely new to this... and we are somewhat bewildered by the whole thing as well.

We have read the section of the website on tutors, and have looked at the tutors directory, and we are aware of the advice on recommending tutors. We would be extremely grateful for any help and advice, so do please reply by pm (private messaging).
stevew61

Re: Tutor for 11+ in Reading / Berkshire

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Somewhat_Anxious,

Welcome to the forum. :) Why not have a look at some DIY to make use of the time until you find a tutor?

The Kendrick exam is covered by VR Susan D. books 1-4 Method & Technique, and the NVR by AE books 1 & 2.

I used a bit of DIY with DS1 and DS2 but seem to be doing DIY only with DD. 8)
Somewhat_Anxious

Post by Somewhat_Anxious »

Many thanks Steve. This is very helpful indeed and I will look up the texts that you suggested. We did try some diy, and will probably continue, but found it very hard to keep up. We don't have that much time after work and at the weekends, and we just lack the discipline, so the tutor route might work out better for us. DD1 is rather too keen on hockey, netball, swimming, flute and a thousand other activities, so our priorities are slipping :)

I will let you know how we get on. It's great to have the support of others. Any other suggestion would be very welcome.
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Hello stevew61,
You mentioned about these Susan Daughtery books 1-4
These contain 36 types of verbal reasoning in all and in many of the posts i just read about 21 types.
I am confused that for kendrick it is how many types
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=3&t=3740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=3&t=3740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one also refers 21 type.
can somebody clarify this pleeeaseeee.
many thanks
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi Basanti,
I dont know what is required at Kendricks as have not looked, but Susan Daugherty books have I believe 35 or so types, but her papers (Bright Sparks ) have 21 types, as far as I know, as we did the papers. Someone else may add to this if Im wrong.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

basanti wrote:I am confused that for kendrick it is how many types
Kendrick is standard format not multiple choice so the range of question types can and is greater than the more widely used multiple choice VR.

The most often recommended resources for preparing for Kendrick are the Susan D books which contain 35 types (with a few sub-types) and Bond books which include a few extra. The 35 types include the 21 types but you don't have the help of an answer sheet which gives five clues!

It is possible an unknown question type or a variation of a question type may come up so best to be prepared for the unexpected.

Any feedback on this year’s exam welcome, after January just in case late sitters?

Having collated information over the last five years we are using the Susan D. Books to prepare for the 2012 exam but will also look at other papers if we get time
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now