Help with verbal reasoning

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wurzllle

Help with verbal reasoning

Post by Wurzllle »

Can anyone help me please? My daughter has been studying with a tutor for the
Last couple of months now. I also spend as much time as I can going through work set by the tutor and old test papers. Our local school use the GL assessment papers. I thought I was quite knowledgeable in the area of verbal reasoning, but having read some of the posts on this site, I realise I am not. I do not know all the types of questions that my daughter may face. Is there anyway I can get a copy of the types of questions there are, with an explanation of how to answer them. I Understand most of the questions, but there are some that i do not have a clue how they get the answers. Just an example is inverted mirrors. I think it is very important for me to understand how to answer each type so that I can explain to her. Also someone posted about hinkas ( I think this was the spelling).
Can anyone tell what this is? Many thanks
patricia

Re: Help with verbal reasoning

Post by patricia »

Dear Wurzllle

Welcome to the forum.

As a tutor myself I would not expect a parent to teach my children methods and techniques, thats what you are paying the tutor for. I set work based on what I have taught, the parents only get involved with vocabularly homework.

If your tutor has taught each question type correctly there should be no need for you to explain them to your child, you may even confuse your daughter especially if the tutor has taught a particular type of question in a different way.

I understand parents wish to know how to approach questions but again your tutor should be able to help you.

Take a look at the following link for a Method and Technique book covering the 21 types used by GL Assessment.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... upils.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HIKNOS are 6 types of questions that Set 1 bought from GL Assessment do not cover. The above book explains which types are HIKNOS

Which area/school are you applying for?

Good Luck

Patricia
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Hello Patricia,
as you mentioned about the IPS method and technique, it made me wonder that am i doing the right thing
I use the susans books 1to 4
so should i carry on using this and later add up with IPS
do they both have same types or different.
I am preparing my dd for Kendrick 2012
many thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

It will depend on the test used by the school.

If its GL Assessment Multiple Choice then the Daughtrey method and technique books are largley irrelevant, too many types [35 plus] and different techniques for multiple choice [Daughtrey only shows standard form]

Patricia
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Thanks for the reply.
as kendrick uses standard format so daughtry series would be appropriate.
rishita

Post by rishita »

In kendrick are there word links in the test papers i.e. write one word that will go with all the four words, as it is a standard format it is difficult to guess a word.
thanks
Orson

Post by Orson »

When it comes to GL Assessment about half of S Daughtrey is relevant, half isn't, and that's with standard format.
It's my biggest bugbear :evil: - all those tutors out there (in Glos. anyway) 'teaching' with S D's seven books and doing nothing else.
Parents are so worried about using a tutor (any tutor) that they don't carry out basic checks. Are the right types being studied, what's the quality of teaching like, what about success/pass rates, experience and qualifications? Madness. Anyone would think the tutor one employs wasn't an important decision.
There are an increasing number of charlatans jumping on the 'VR tutoring is easy money' bandwagon, taking full advantage of parents' anxieties. 'BUYER' BEWARE.