Shredders

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Shredders

Post by scary mum »

Does anyone have any advice? I have always shredded stuff at the office if I have needed to, but having had a clear out (well, started one :lol: ) of the study I think it is time to buy a shredder. Does anyone have any recommendations/experience? There seems to be a huge variation in price. Is it a case of you get what you pay for, or do we only need something fairly low key for home use?

Thank you
scary mum
Warks mum

Re: Shredders

Post by Warks mum »

Having burned out a cheap shredder I'd say you get what you pay for... But then I tend to try to shred too much at one time! I now have a shredder for the odd piece of paper. When I do a big 'clear out' I feed it into a real fire in a metal bucket in the garden. It's much more fun!
Last edited by Warks mum on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Ditto on the cheap shredder.

In theory you probably only need something tiny to shred the odd piece of paper if you're organised and disciplined and shred things as you go along. If you're like us and messy, disorganised and lazy, you accumulate enormous amounts of stuff throughout the year and only shred it when the pile falls over and buries the cat, and then you need something with industrial capacity so you don't have to stand there for three or four days.

Mike
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In theory you probably only need something tiny to shred the odd piece of paper if you're organised and disciplined and shred things as you go along. If you're like us and messy, disorganised and lazy, you accumulate enormous amounts of stuff throughout the year and only shred it when the pile falls over and buries the cat, and then you need something with industrial capacity so you don't have to stand there for three or four days.

I think we may be the laziest, messiest etc people around, and I haven't seen the cat in ages...

That'll be an industrial one then. I plan to burn the 11 plus stuff after the results next week, but I think if I tried to burn everything we might get some complaints about the size of the fire!!
scary mum
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

mike1880 wrote: If you're like us and messy, disorganised and lazy, you accumulate enormous amounts of stuff throughout the year and only shred it when the pile falls over and buries the cat, and then you need something with industrial capacity so you don't have to stand there for three or four days.

Mike
+1 here. :lol:

Which have complied a review of the best at a wide range of prices.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/archi ... shredders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

And another one!!!!

In fact, this year I tried to be organised :roll: I started off putting my receipts, private information etc, which was no longer needed, into a large shopping bag (instead of an A4 envelope which got overstuffed and ripped open spilling its contents everywhere) - we now have three big bags full of receipts. Why save them in bags instead of shredding them? Well, I found that they took up far too much space after shredding them (I don't have a hamster etc to make it in to bedding either :lol: ) and the idea was to use the dying charcoals from the summer BBQs to burn the bits of paper, only I forgot :oops: :lol: :lol:

I could burn it on the open fire, but the ash from paper is horrid, so I guess I'll just find another (large) bag and start saving up some more, ready for BBQ weather - again!

On the good side, my paper shredder is fine, thank you very much :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Burn it.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Burn it.
We have an bin type incinerator and burn all our private stuff plus cardboard and packaging. It is direct recycling because we put it on the garden as fertilizer (lots of lovely potassium for the plants). Any excess goes to my husbands clients (he is a gardener).
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

We have a bit of a ceremonial burning every few weeks.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Do you lot not have paper recycling collections? I can't see any other reason to turn it straight into atmospheric CO2, much as I appreciate a nice warm November I'm not keen to see summer temperatures in the 40s.

Mike