Grammars win the freedom to expand

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

Grammars win the freedom to expand

Post by Villagedad »

Interesting article below. Does this mean for those taking the exam next September it could mean more places available for the 2013 intake, especially in the super selectives?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... upils.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just1-2go

Re: Grammars win the freedom to expand

Post by Just1-2go »

Very interesting article. I get the impression that the schools around this area of Kent are bursting at the seams already, I'm not sure where they would physically put any more children. The building are shoe-horned into small spaces as well so unless they want to build upwards...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Once a school goes over 1100 or so then, imho, it's just too big.

When a school grows it often loses the very things that made it special - I worry about this article!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There has been a good deal of discussion about if the new code will allow GS to expand. We will have to wait and see. The Codes and draft regulations will be laid before Parliament in December and are due to be in force in February 2012. (Allocations in 2013)
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Guest55 wrote:Once a school goes over 1100 or so then, imho, it's just too big.

When a school grows it often loses the very things that made it special - I worry about this article!
I couldn't agree more!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I think 500 is quite big enough
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Another newspaper article, sorry no link, suggested that existing grammar schools could take over failing schools in nearby towns and so expand. A plausible route via academy status being outside of LEA control?

The daily mail article is a bit confused :roll: mixing grammar and primary schools.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The daily mail article is a bit confused
and this is news??!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

The Government is also giving permission for dozens of new free schools, effectively independent schools paid for by taxpayers within the state system, across the country. Mr Cameron says he wants these schools to be the “shock troops of innovation” who will “smash through complacency”.

The Coalition is also relaxing admissions and expansion rules for successful schools, which is expected to lead to an increase in grammar school places.

Yesterday, it emerged that some grammar schools are planning to take over schools in neighbouring towns — effectively leading to the creation of the first new grammar schools since the 1960s.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... hools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignore the telegraphese and maybe just maybe....
Torty

Post by Torty »

Guest55 wrote:Once a school goes over 1100 or so then, imho, it's just too big.

I too agree with this, and when we looked at a few Grammar Schools we were put off by the large numbers of pupils in the classrooms as well as overall school size. For us ... too big and didn't offer anything special.