Help - not feeling well!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
colchesterdad39

Help - not feeling well!

Post by colchesterdad39 »

My worst nightmare has happened. My DS has come home not feeling well. He has a headaches and a bit of a cough. Do I just hope he recovers by Saturday or do I postpone and take the test another day, to say I'm stressed is an understatement.
Moonlight

Re: Help - not feeling well!

Post by Moonlight »

colchesterdad39 wrote:My worst nightmare has happened. My DS has come home not feeling well. He has a headaches and a bit of a cough. Do I just hope he recovers by Saturday or do I postpone and take the test another day, to say I'm stressed is an understatement.
Poor you and your son. :( It may just be that he is feeling tired after a long week and a good night's sleep will fix things. He may also be anxious about Saturday. However, if you think it could be more, then I would speak to the CSSE office tomorrow and find out what the procedure is if your son is not well enough for Saturday. My own personal thoughts are that a lot 'rides' on this one particular day and ideally your son needs to be as well as possible to do as well as possible. If your gut feeling tells you to postpone, then do that.

Two years ago my son sat the exam at CRGS and thankfully it wasn't a week later because then he was struck down with a flu virus and was very poorly. There's no way he could have sat the exam then and I would definitely have postponed.

Unfortunately, I think that you will have to make a decision tomorrow to allow enough time for 'Plan B'.

I feel really sorry for you both but things may be better in the morning (fingers crossed). Good luck and best wishes. Let us know how you get on.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

colchesterdad39 wrote:My worst nightmare has happened. My DS has come home not feeling well. He has a headaches and a bit of a cough. Do I just hope he recovers by Saturday or do I postpone and take the test another day, to say I'm stressed is an understatement.
I would give him Nurofen and a good nights sleep to see how he is in the morning. I kept my DS off school today because he was coming down with a cold. A day of relaxation, central heating and not doing much at all has done wonders. Best of luck.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If he has not fully recovered definitely postpone.

Last year when dropping my DD off I was asked to sign a form stating that she was fit and well to take the exam.

Hope he recovers soon.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Whatever you do at least flag it up.

We had to appeal for our DS and, although he was not ill, there were lots of other things going on. A question which came up at appeal was whether we had contacted the CSSE about our concerns - answer no because nowhere does it say you should.

So anything, anything at all flag it. Then, if you need to appea, you can at least demonstrate that you had concerns on the day and are not raising something purely as a reason for appeal.

Also, if anything happens on the day which could unsettle/disturb your child, raise it with CSSE. Our DS had a boy crying in front of him on and off for 15 minutes before the boy was removed from the room. At appeal we raised this and KEGS confirmed it had happened just as described by our son. They also said there was a second incident in the room that day but that no-one had complained about either and asked why we hadn't raised it at the time. Again, we didn't think it worth it.

So definitely make sure that anything which you believe may affect your child's performance it mentioned.
suhana

Post by suhana »

colchesterdad,
I am in the same boat as you. I had been unwell since last Friday but quite generously I shared that with my poor son. He has been off school all week, is on antibiotics and is sleeping at this hour.It has been a week and antibiotics have not help him recover fully.
I am not even contemplating to not postpone it.
I am only waiting for him to wake up and assess his health, then make a call to CSSE.
I have many thoughts in my mind, whether it is a disadvantage in anyway for them, not to sit the main stream test? would there be more noise on next sitting as it is a school day etc etc.

Do what you think is best as moonlight said. You know best.
I will keep you posted with status of my son.

All the best.
ahap

Post by ahap »

My DS came with a cold & a cough on Wednesday. He is taking rest and I and giving him Vit C, Lime juice with honey and ginger. Chicken soup as well. Hoping he'll be better by tomorrow morning. He has a morning sitting. He says he wants to do it tomorrow because he only needs tissues, it may slow his performance but if he gets a flu on the 30th he may not perform at all. So I am sending him tomorrow. I am going to give him some Calpol over 6yrs to ease any pain that he may have. My DD recovered the worst symtoms by 3 days. So hopefully he'll do the same. His nose is still red, dry and cracked. He doesn't seem to like the heating so keeping the heating to a low temp. Any kind words or advise would help me. Thank you.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
sahara

Post by sahara »

If he just has a cough and cold don't worry, as he came out with it Wed, yesterday would tend to be when he is at his worst and maybe this morning. Sleep might be worse Wed and Thurs night. With my children, I find day 3 of a cold is when you are coming out of it, any headaches and temperatures will be passed.
Hopefully he may just have runny nose and a bit of a cough, but will probably feel quite strong. Hope I have been a help.
suhana

Post by suhana »

ahap,

I can understand your concern. My ds also wants to take the test tomorrow as he can't wait to get it done. My plan is to see tomorrow morning as I have afternoon sitting.But please do call the consortium to apprise them of you current situation.

I am going to call them soon too.
Take care and all the best to you ds.
colchesterdad39

Post by colchesterdad39 »

Thanks everyone for your words of advice. Just to update you I called the csse office this morning and told them the situation. They have made a note on my DS file. They said that the alternate sitting on the 30th will hold around 30 -50 children and that although a different test, it is set by the same person as tomorrows exam so as to aid standardisation. My DS really really wants to sit the test tomorrow but I'm worried that with the time etc he may not do himself justice. An interesting point the csse made also was that if he went and then became ill he could come back and take the remaining papers on the 30th as long as he hadn't opened them but once started a test he has to finish it. Apparently 4000 children are registered tomorrow so with competition tough i'm going to wait and see in the morning how he is. They said if he cant take it, to get a letter from his school saying he was off ill today and that will be fine to retake. My biggest worry is what if tomorrows test really suited him and the next one doesn't, but what will be will be i suppose and I cant risk sending him if hes not not 100%