st olaves test today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dunemigrating

st olaves test today

Post by dunemigrating »

My son took the test today. He said the maths was ok, comprehension quite hard and he finished the essay in the required time. However, he told me that the words in the title that they gave, he didn't mention in his actual essay that he wrote - a little worrying!!?? I hope he didn't go off on a tangent too much. What about everyone else - how did your sons gets on?
BTW the admissions lady told my husband that there were just under 1000 applicants today, hence the traffic situation.
nicemum

Re: st olaves test today

Post by nicemum »

Maths was easy, comprehension was not easy - some words were difficult but the writing was easy - the maths was easier than the kent test. Dont know - now the long wait till March. Cant mention exact essay topic as some still yet to sit i have been told.
malibu

Post by malibu »

My DS said more or less the same thing. Maths easier than Kent; comprehension difficult and writing OK.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Same reports here. DS said English was tough. English is his strongest subject and he reads books beyond his age group but he found the questions perplexing. Maths was normal......no biggie, he said.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Westerham Dad

Post by Westerham Dad »

Hi, St Olaves is our first choice, has been since my son was 3 !!... he said all was fine on the exams front, although was rushing a tad at the end, he scored 414 in the Kent so hopefully he has done well in the St Olaves exams too !!...fingers crossed !!..... good luck everyone !!.......
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Hi Westerham Dad,
We are in the same boat (or raft!).St Olave's is our first choice has been since my daughter joined Newstead 5 years ago.He was also quite happy after the exam,( but did say the Eng comp was hard), I think it was the sheer relief that it was the last test!
I have been in quite a state actually about the whole thing, post exam, thinking - what if he does not make it? Should I appeal? On what grounds? It's first past the post, isn't it? I have played all these scenarios in my head- even went into the appeals section to ask about appealing for St O and the results are not out yet!
I keep telling myself that the 2nd choice another garmmar in Dartford is just as good, but deep, deep down in my heart I sooo.. much want him to get into St Olave's. Anyway, good luck to you and everyone else and may the new year bring us good news :D
Westerham Dad

Post by Westerham Dad »

Hi Layla22, Yes is very stressful.... mind you, my Son and wife don't seem to be that stressed now !!... as all the exams are behind us, wish I was the same !!...lol... he Sat Bexley and Kent, past both well, but we opted for Kent Grammar's only, Judd and Dartford being 2nd and 3rd choices, as for St Olaves it's the top 112 scores that get offered a place, not looked into the appeals side of things, hopefully that won't be needed, I'm also sure you dont see any results for St Olaves, (unlike Bexley and Kent) you just have to wait for an e-mail on the 01st of March !!!.... finger crossed then for 2 months !!..... :)

903 boys were scheduled to take the St Olaves exam...
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo Layla 22 and Westerham Dad

I have two older DSs at St Olave's and it is indeed a great school. However my third DS (now year 9) did not get in and went to Dartford Grammar School. If this should happen to you - please do not be disappointed! It is a fantastic school and I have been hugely impressed with so many things there, particularly the Headmaster. As I have said on a previous post, it can certainly hold its own with St Olave's! Good luck to both of your DSs and let us know how they get on.
Westerham Dad

Post by Westerham Dad »

Thanks Jiff, thanks for your Post, guess Layla22 and I just need to wait for the 01st March !!..... I would be super happy with St Olaves but to be honest just as happy if he was allocated Judd or Dartford, what did your son score in the Kent ?.... my son scored 414... really proud of him.........cheers........ :)
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo Westerham Dad

Very well done to your DS, that's a great score. My DS scored 411 which was a big relief as we live in Lewisham and he needed a decent score to be sure of getting in to DGS. Even though we are a few years past it now, I remember the wait to 1 March being interminable -best wishes to you all!