Night before nerves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anxiousanna

Night before nerves

Post by anxiousanna »

That's for the parent, not the child!

My DS has gone to school as normal this week, and has done hardly any 11+ revision at all (20 mins on three occasions). He came home today and told me that other children sitting the test tomorrow have had a couple of days off to practise! Please... somebody tell me that I have done the right thing - am going out of my mind :(
Pixie

Re: Night before nerves

Post by Pixie »

Hi AnxiousAnna
as far as I'm concerned you've done the right thing - nice calm, normal week with no added stress or pressure.
We went through this with DD 2 years ago and this time round with DS I thought I was coping much better. But the nerves have hit now (with me, not with DS!!!)
It will all be over soon, try not to worry - I'm sure your DS will be fine
x
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I think you have done the right thing. We eased off completely the week before the exam and did a few 10 minutes tests just to keep them ticking over. A normal week is the best thing to keep children from becoming too anxious, in my opinion.

Good luck. Not long to go now. Enjoy relaxing tomorrow evening.
Last edited by Fran17 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

anxiousanna wrote: My DS has gone to school as normal this week, and has done hardly any 11+ revision at all (20 mins on three occasions). He came home today and told me that other children sitting the test tomorrow have had a couple of days off to practise! Please... somebody tell me that I have done the right thing - am going out of my mind :(
You have done what is right for your child and that's all that matters. Yes, some parents will have their children revising up until the last minute but others won't. What a child doesn't know now, they are not going to learn in the last couple of days. (Just my opinion). I kept my son off of school only the day before so that he could try and relax before the exams. Some will do the same, others won't. It is purely down to each individual at the end of the day. Best of luck to you for tomorrow.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Quite right Moonlight. I should have said everyone has there own way of doing things and you can only do what is right for your child. Never regret anything you have done with the best of intentions. :D
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

I agree, it is everyone's decision to do what they think is best.

I personally kept my DS off school today, to avoid the playground chat and also the class teacher giving him her unwanted advice!!

We have had a lovely day, spot of revision nothing heavy though, and he has watched TV, played X-box to take his mind off of what is going to happen tomorrow.

He also has a bit of a cold and I didn't want it to get any worse.
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Thanks everyone,
for your very reassuring advice.
Good Luck to ALL of the children doing the test tomorrow!!!
moved

Post by moved »

Good luck to all.