SGS Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
esh

SGS Exam

Post by esh »

Thank goodness it's all over now for those doing Sutton school exams. I would like to know how others found the SGS papers. My DS thought it was easier than the others schools.
medsol

Re: SGS Exam

Post by medsol »

My DS also thought the paper was quite a bit easier than Wilson's and Wallington. Luckily he passed those, so fingers crossed for this one.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

I have indeed heard the opposite. All boys I know have said they thought the maths was hard - much harder than they had expected and the VR quite tricky as well....anyone else ?
Clapham mum

Post by Clapham mum »

Yes maths bit tricky, a plea, anyone whose kids found it really easy and passed all exams please don't post and make the rest of us feel even more anxious!
la boume

Post by la boume »

We are all anxious here, Clapham mum..."Pass" as you know does not guarantee a place at the desired school. So it is not fair to ask other parent's not to post about their DC success. It is not boasting, seriously, but just stating a fact.
I know several DC who found Tiffin exam easy last year, and did not get it, and vice versa.
jjmumoftwo

Post by jjmumoftwo »

My sons strongest subject is maths, yet he found Sutton maths particularly hard and missed 7 questions yet he passed both Wallington and Wilsons. So I would say that the maths certainly seemed trickier for Sutton Grammar than for the either of the other two. He didn't comment much on the rest of the exam.
Clapham mum

Post by Clapham mum »

I am not suggesting people don't post about passes, just to be a bit more sensitive. Some people just seem to post to showboat rater than discuss or raise issues! You only have to look at previous threads to get my gist
medsol

Post by medsol »

Clapham mum, I hope you weren't referring to my post. Boasting was not my intention at all, I was merely replying honestly to the comment from Esh. This is a very anxious time for each and every one of us. A pass does not mean we're in! Wishing your DS the best of luck.
Scrumptious

Post by Scrumptious »

My son found the Verbal reasoning paper on par with the GL assessment practice papers we'd been doing at home.
He thought the English papers were reasonably easy, but found the maths very hard and he only did about half of it. He said that the questions weren't too hard in themselves....but they were very time consuming.
He was very upset afterwards because he's always been very good at maths and expected to find that the easiest part.
He's certain he won't get in but who knows :( I said maybe everyone struggled....it's comforting to hear a few other boys struggled.
As for Tiffins...he didn't think the VR or NVR were too bad (again on par with the practice papers we'd done) but he didn't finish...he had to guess the last 8 questions on each paper! Time has always been the issue for us. Interestingly though...he was in a room of 22 for the exam and at the end the invigilator asked if everyone had finished...and not one boy had.
Still...we're not holding out much hope.
wallymum

Post by wallymum »

My DS also said the maths was very hard - he usually finishes but left 4 questions unanswered. Have heard similar from others who took it too. VR ok and English - he did not like the essay topic, however specific test content removed ny Moderator
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now