Our impressions of the Consortium Test were ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
maxhead

Our impressions of the Consortium Test were ?

Post by maxhead »

DS says he finished the VR in 40min. Did not amend any. Finished Maths in the same time but could not answer two questions.
Said VR was very different from Mill Hill but I will withhold details due to late sitters.

Hope Mango and Replay DC did well.
mangomum

Re: Our impressions of the Consortium Test were ?

Post by mangomum »

Hi Maxhead

DS thought both papers were pretty easy (but he though the same of Mill Hill and didn't get through to 2nd round! :( ).

Maths was certainly easier than the Manchester papers he's been looking at. VR was different to Mill Hill but not bad. He thinks he's done well.

Not sure after the shock of the Mill Hill result. We've now got our hopes pinned on the music side - less competition but just as though.

We've also got our hopes up to get into round 2 for QE Boys so he has 2 chances.

Oh well - time will tell. Heads down until 2nd Dec.

Lots of luck to your DS.
MangoMum
sonia1977

General feeling on Saturdays 11+ test?

Post by sonia1977 »

Hi - I'm new to the site and just wanted to know what parents thought about the yesterdays 11+ exam.....

There were a couple of surprises....

1) In the letter sent earlier on in the week it stated the children will be given 30mins familiarisation efore the actual VR test.
It transpired it was a 15 minute test.....
Now I know this sounds pedantic but why say it's going to be a 30 minute familiarisation then carry out a 15minute test?
I just think that if your child is of a nervous disposition then something like this could trouble them... :?

Secondly, now I don't know about anyone else but for the past 6 weeks my child has been diligently working from a variety of 11+ papers answering approx 80/85 questions in a 50minute time frame.....
I was also told by his tutor that the exam itself (VR) would consist of 80 questions to be answered in 50mins.
So you can imagine my sons surprise when he discovered there were indeed 100 questions to be answered in 45mins!!!!!!

Was that a surprise for a lot of parents? Or have I been naive in thinking it would be a test of 80 questions etc etc

Thanks in advance for any replies :)
KS10

Re: General feeling on Saturdays 11+ test?

Post by KS10 »

Secondly, now I don't know about anyone else but for the past 6 weeks my child has been diligently working from a variety of 11+ papers answering approx 80/85 questions in a 50minute time frame.....
I was also told by his tutor that the exam itself (VR) would consist of 80 questions to be answered in 50mins.
So you can imagine my sons surprise when he discovered there were indeed 100 questions to be answered in 45mins!!!!!!

Was that a surprise for a lot of parents? Or have I been naive in thinking it would be a test of 80 questions etc etc
We made the same mistake 2 years ago: DS was doing 80 questions in 50 mins and it was a huge surprise when he came out of the exam saying he'd only managed to get as far as question 92. I hadn't done my homework and found out later that all the info was on the school's website (Parmiter's, in our case). Your tutor should have known though.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Sonia, Under what criteria did you hire your tutor. Did you take him on to advise and guide you for the exam in which case you need to ask for your money back.

It is completely unacceptable for him not to have known the very basic fact of the timing for the VR. 100 in 45 minutes is quite an ask and needs lots of preparation. I would not expect any child who had not been preparing with the right time period to be able to finish. You need to ask your tutor where he got his info from. We did the exam 2009 and 2010 and it was 100 in 45 minutes then and I think it has been for some time.

Have you spoken to him about it yet? DG
mel123

Saturday 19th Consortium's exam?

Post by mel123 »

Wondering what is the feedback on the consortium (parmiter's, watford grammar etc) 's VR exam last saturday 19/11? DS told me it's more difficult compared to Dame Alice Owen's?

Appreciate what other children thought?
regards,
mel
Daogroupie

Re: Saturday 19th Consortium's exam?

Post by Daogroupie »

There are already two separate threads on this Mel but I am surprised that your DS thought the VR was more difficult than DAO. As it is much more normal to sit this test as it offers spaces at seven schools the pass mark is generally lower as there are more spaces in total. Though you need a higher pass mark to get into some of the schools than others. My dd's did both tests in 2009 and 2010 and found the Consortium VR much easier than DAO. Did your ds think the questions were more challenging or was it different types to DAO? DG
dreams

Post by dreams »

My DD found both tests not really challenging, though at home she never scored higher than 92% in GL and Bond papers. I hope we won't get same result as with the music test:)
ReplayMum

Post by ReplayMum »

DD found the tests ok, and wasn't shocked/surprised by its contents.
The only thing she mentioned about VR at DAO was that the paper was like level 8 or 9 instead of teh ones we have been practicing.

Well, I am not sure after the shocking results of Mill Hill.

But DD is quite happy to go to our local school as it is as good as Mill Hill.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is great news, that both dds found the tests straightforward. Especially for you dreams after the disappointment of the music tests. Did you sit them both? Which papers did you use to prepare replaymum? Did your dd feel that DAO was harder than those? 92% is an great mark dreams. What month is her birth date? Will she be getting extra marks for being young in the year? DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now