KEFW Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Happy_Parents_2007

KEFW Induction Day

Post by Happy_Parents_2007 »

We went to the pre-induction day at KEFW yesterday. Looking around and meeting the parents of other children, I can honestly say that we have made the right choice for our son. The school head gave a short speech with plenty of humour, and his deputy likewise.

For anyone who knows, what is the main induction day like for the children, and do we as parents drop them off at the school or can they use the Green Bus.

Comments welcome.

Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

You get a letter about the induction day in June, although you will get chance to visit the school again before that for the Uniform Evenings.

You can use the Green School bus on the Induction days, they just have to show the the letter.

They have to wear their existing school uniform on Induction day but they have to bring trainers and sports kit with them with a tee shirt in their new house colours. This is for an inter house PE lesson in the afternoon. Induction day finishes at 3.15 and you can either collect you child from the school or let them go back on the school bus. The other chiledren on the school bus are always very helpful and friendly to the induction children.

The school bus is a really great way to help them settle in; they seem to make a lot of friends very quickly. We also like the fact they they always operate a policy of allocating children from the same primary school into different classes - that way everyone has to make new friends.

It's a really great school, just about every parent we have met is delighted with the school. Academically it's very good, definitely on the way up.

Hope you child enjoys the school.
Happy_Parents_2007

Post by Happy_Parents_2007 »

KenR No doubt our paths may cross some day at this school. I'll be wearing a rose on my laple...... By the way, are you going to the headmaster's Ball in July 14th, tickets are £30, not sure if it's per person or per family. Perhaps you know more.

Thanks
Fay

King Edwards VI Five Ways

Post by Fay »

Dear Ken,

I wondered if you could provide some guidance perhaps as we accepted a place at KES but also had a call from Five Ways with a place for my son. The two areas I needed some guidance are: academic comparison and average class sizes. Certainly the distance is an issue as we live in Moseley.

Many thanks.

Re: King Edwards VI Five Ways

Post by Guest »

Fay wrote:Dear Ken,

I wondered if you could provide some guidance perhaps as we accepted a place at KES but also had a call from Five Ways with a place for my son. The two areas I needed some guidance are: academic comparison and average class sizes. Certainly the distance is an issue as we live in Moseley.

Many thanks.
Hi Fay

I'm not Ken but I have boys at both schools. Under the new-ish Head academic standards at Five Ways are really on the up, and it is a fantastic school with amazing facilities and improvements still under way. If you hear anything negative about Five Ways it probably dates back to when it was just a boys school and despite being a KE school was rather underrated - things are very different now and have been for quite a few years. Class sizes were comparable to KES (about 25) when my son was in the first few years, but Ken would know better about the current situation. Another issue is whether your son would prefer mixed or single gender - my boys had different opinions about this. The school buses to Five Ways are excellent so travel isn't really a problem unless he wants to stay late. If the fees aren't an issue I would probably go for KES on grounds of convenience as it is much closer to you, but Five Ways is worth the effort of getting to (and it is FREE :!: :lol: )
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Fay

Guest has summarised very well.

Academically Five Ways is very good as is KES. All of the parents we talk to are very please, in fact I'd go so far as to say that the only thing I've heard any parents complain about is the homework - they have an average of about 1 hour per night.

The 6th form is particularly good and expanding, particularly so as they aren't as ruthless as KES and some of the other KE Schools regarding the cull at the end of GCSEs. They have been known to allow pupils who work hard with some B's at GCSE in their chosen subject to stay on. That's a definite no-no at KES.

My daughter is at KEHS in year 10 and is considering moving to KEFW after GCSE.

Travel is not a problem, the school bus system works very well. There are actually 2 school buses that pass through Moseley to KEFW - the 868 at 07:36 from St Mary's Row (arrives -8:06) and the 892 at 07:39 arraive 08:10.

The only issue with Travel and logistics is if they stay behind after school for sports and clubs, but you can normally do a deal with other parents.

KES is an excellent school as well, the major advantage with KES is probably the quality and variety of the music and overseas trips etc. So it probably comes down to personal preference and cost saving opportunities!

Regards

Ken
Fay

School advice

Post by Fay »

Thank you very much for your advice, much appreciated. The choice may come down to the extra curricula experience afforded by KES and the involvement in after school activities which means missing the bus on occasions as KEFW seems awfully a long way away!