thank you

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

karen

thank you

Post by karen »

I would just like to sat a big thank you for all the help with my daughter's appeal, especially Etienne and Sally-anne. We didn't win, which is very disappointing for her, especially as 2 children in her class did. I know each case is taken on it's own merits,but she can't understand why she didn't get a place as she is in higher groups etc. The 2 children given places have ADD and dyslexia and I was wondering whether the LEA are putting grammar schools under pressure to take on children who have learning problems but are not achieving as they should. What does any one think? :?
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Karen,

I'm so sorry to hear your news, I know we got the news we wanted but I do feel its bitter sweet.
Ours could so easily have gone the other way and I can find no reason to justify one from another, only that I feel eternally grateful to be given this opportunity.
but she can't understand why she didn't get a place as she is in higher groups
I understand were your daughter is coming from. If we as adults don't understand it how can we expect them to.
I wouldn't try to even justify it to her, just console her and let her know that her thoughts echo your own.

Just tell her you believed in her that's why you appealed and she will do well no matter where she goes, because that's what makes her special.

I really do feel for you. Do you have a good alternative?

Sending you huge hugs for both you and your daughter..

AM
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

If we as adults don't understand it how can we expect them to.
I wouldn't try to even justify it to her, just console her and let her know that her thoughts echo your own.

Just tell her you believed in her that's why you appealed and she will do well no matter where she goes, because that's what makes her special.
Karen,
Ditto what Appeal Mum expre55ed. Life is so difficult sometimes but you both wi11 get on very we11.

What shines through is that you've taken the time to come back to say thank you amidst some very happy moments on the Forum. Despite your disappointment, you sti11 made a conscientious effort to convey your thanks and that is so great to see.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Karen

Thank you for your kind words. I so wish that the outcome had been different for you. I have experienced your disappointment and I understand how you feel.

I remain unsure about the SEN issue. Some authorities and schools seem to see it as important, whilst others are prejudiced against it.

All I can say, as AM and LBSWM have already done, is that you have done your very best for your daughter.

With a mother as caring and concerned as you, she will succeed anywhere.

My very best wishes to you

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Karen,

I also echo above sentiments - for us the SEN issues were ignored - panels are fallible human beings and they get it wrong sometimes.

I do believe that your child 'rise to the top' of the school she has been allocated - with a supportive mum like you how can it be otherwise?

Big hug to you all
karen

Post by karen »

Thank you for all your kind words, which set me off again!! However, my daughter does have a good alternative, it's just it's not nice for them to feel inferior to their peers at such a young age or to carry the stigma of 'failing'. Good luck to everyone else!

Karen
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Karen,

I hate the phrase 11+ pass - it's not a 'pass' - you reach that year's qualifying standard or you don't. Another year it might be the opposite with exactly the same raw score as each cohort has a different 'standard'.

Encourage your daughter to go for those level 5s - that will say more about her than her 11+ score ..