Are we all deluded?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

Are we all deluded?

Post by 2outof3 »

So this post was prompted by a post last week that 1700 boys had just sat the entrance test for Tiffin Boys (Kingston Upon Thames) for 140 places. I've posted here as I think my musings apply to any area where the grammars are super selective and therefore, numbers trying to gain entry are higher.

It crossed my mind whether all the parents of those 1700 boys honestly think they stand a good chance of passing :shock: . Now you could say that someone has to pass and so you might as well give it a go. Alternatively you could argue that you shouldn't put your child through "it" (whether that "it" is years of preparation or just turning up on the day and sitting the exam) unless you are certain that they have a good to excellent chance of being in the top 150 or so.

I have to admit some personal involvement here as, at the moment, DS is intending to sit the test next year. However, it has crossed my mind that DS is reasonably academic but is he really in the top 5% of boys who will be sitting with him? I can honestly say that I don't know and I wouldn't know how you assess that. Also, in all honesty, I think it probably wouldn't matter to me if I did have that information. In my opinion, he would cope well at the school (and certain others) and it would suit him, so we may as well give it a go :?

So really, I was interested in other people's views on the subject. Do you have blind faith in your child's ability to get into a particular school or are you just having a punt with your fingers crossed that everything goes right on the day? 8) (And I am differentiating here between getting in and then coping once you're in as (in my experience) most kids who get in cope perfectly well.)

All viewpoints welcome :D
Sallyannb1

Re: Are we all deluded?

Post by Sallyannb1 »

Wow, i love this message. It is exactly what i have thought many many times. My DD sat for a super selective a couple of weeks ago, and i have no idea what will happen. Everyone's kids all looked perfectly normal to me. I didn't tutor my daughter (well that's not strictly true!) We started looking at test papers, and 10 minute test books at the beginning of the summer holidays, and then from September to November, she had 5 sessions with a lady, who showed her the technique of the questions we couldn't get! IYKWIM. This forum really helped to grow my confidence, as i was the one who sat with her doing the work, and the rest of it was done alone by my DD as she was completely driving the application to grammar school.

I do think there are alot of very naive parents out there, who sit their children with no preparation, and also some of them have tutors, whom they trust, but are not getting the kids to the right standard.
Some are over prepared, and some under. I do think alot of it is down to luck on the day, but most of us must be thinking that our kids wont make it. Arent we?

I am pulling my hair out during this period of not knowing.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Oh Belinda - a bit OT - but I am sorry to hear about your niece - have been looking at student room today - some people very down after getting poor BMAT results overnight. Bit like the 11 plus - all down to one day, unlike the GCSEs etc which are done over a period of time. Hope your niece gets offers from elsewhere - did she do OK in the UKCAT?

Re Tiffin - yes it is difficult and daunting at this stage. Some of the top 140 will not take the places and hence the chances are better than they might look. A good number of the lads will get multiple passes and have to chose - some may take indies too.. Not all the kids taking it have really got a chance - some people take it "as a long shot"
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks for responses.

The question isn't really about Tiffins, it relates to any number of schools where thousands of children are applying for what amounts to a handful of places. I suppose it boils down to whether its in a child's best interests to even try for a place unless there are really good grounds for believing that that child has a realistic chance of success. And if you agree with that statement, how would you ever assess those grounds :?

It's a tricky one isn't it, but certainly worth thinking about :D

p.s Good luck to DD as well Belinda - keeping fingers crossed for Birmingham as I went there (not medical school though) and had brilliant three years
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

laretta

Post by laretta »

I suppose a lot comes down to how they are doing in the practice papers. It is never a given, but if they are scoring 85-95% on the tough ones such as Walsh and the like, then they have as good a chance as any. There will always be surprises either way. Not sure if the less informed realise that some of the papers you can buy are just too easy for the superselectives and getting even 95-100% on those can be very misleading.
Would be interested to hear from anyone who sat and was genuinely surprised by the result either way.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Good luck to your niece Belinda. Poor thing. My friend was telling me last week that one of her daughter's friends got 8 As at A level, yes that's 8 As at A level, he was hugely talented, very well liked, had a great personality and yet didn't get any offers for university. His school felt that his back-up unis didn't offer him a place because they thought he would be snapped up by his top choice, Oxford. Unfortunately Oxford didn't offer him a place. He took a year out and reapplied the following year. Cambridge didn't offer him a place but luckily he got into Durham. I sat open-mouthed as she told me this. I couldn't help thinking it is Oxbridge's loss! What a dreadful situation for that young lad to have been in. Apparently he is extremely happy now and doing very well.

Getting back to the subject in hand, if you think your child stands a fighting chance of getting a place at a grammar, then go for it. What have you got to lose. You cannot take away all the extra work they have put in and this will help them with their school work at whichever school they attend.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »