Tips for Essex 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Tips for Essex 11+?

Post by Manana »

For those that are now *free* from the 11+, can I ask what tips/advice you'd give to us parents whose children are sitting the exam next year? Is there anything you wish you'd done differently or things that you found worked well?

We're following the great advice on here for VR and are also working through the Bond books for Maths/English. We're now half way through the 9-10 English and just finished 9-10 Maths. Did you all do the 10-11 AND the 11-12 books, too? I bet they're hard! Is there anything else you'd recommend?
arsen

Re: Tips for Essex 11+?

Post by arsen »

Hi there. Bonds are good - but you're quite right the 11-12 books are extremely hard and quite demoralising when I used to see my DS struggle on them. He was much more comfortable with the 10-11 books and I think they would suffice. Also try some of the Loiuse Staples English papers. To be honest there is no substitute to past papers - try and get as many of them as you can. GL Assessment do some nice packs on VR too - any they also supply the Essex VR papers too.

Hope helps?
Manana

Post by Manana »

Thanks for your reply-that's great. I've got the 9-10 Bond comprehension book too. We tried this at the end of Y4, but the sheet volume of text put him off-maybe we'll have another go when we've finished the English one!

Where can you get hold of past CSSE papers? I bought the last three directly from the CSSE and someone from here kindly sent me some of the maths ones, but I would be interested in some of the older English ones-particularly the infamous Tess one!
arsen

Post by arsen »

To be honest - my Ds went through them with the tutor he had - she had copied going back to 2004 I think. ALso the Letts KS3 comprehension books were good. However, I bought some of the Loiuse staples ones (an essex examiner I believe?). Happy to send you electonic copies of those if you want. I'm new to this forum but I assume I can PM these to you?
Manana

Post by Manana »

arsen wrote:To be honest - my Ds went through them with the tutor he had - she had copied going back to 2004 I think. ALso the Letts KS3 comprehension books were good. However, I bought some of the Loiuse staples ones (an essex examiner I believe?). Happy to send you electonic copies of those if you want. I'm new to this forum but I assume I can PM these to you?

That would be utterly wonderful, thank you so much! I'll PM you my email address. Thank you!
arsen

Post by arsen »

Teachermum76 wrote:
arsen wrote:To be honest - my Ds went through them with the tutor he had - she had copied going back to 2004 I think. ALso the Letts KS3 comprehension books were good. However, I bought some of the Loiuse staples ones (an essex examiner I believe?). Happy to send you electonic copies of those if you want. I'm new to this forum but I assume I can PM these to you?

That would be utterly wonderful, thank you so much! I'll PM you my email address. Thank you!

Should be in your inbox now - pleasure to help. It's a zip file - but let me know ifyou have problems opening it - I can send them separately.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

My DS had a tutor and he worked through the Bond books for English, Maths and V.R. 9-10 and then 10-11. He also did 10-11 plus (Bond). I also bought him the 10 minute test Bond books for Maths and V.R. which he enjoyed doing as a little extra in the last month. They literally do only take 10 minutes and they managed to keep his speed up whilst also revisiting all of the V.R. techniques.

His tutor supplied the CSSE papers and he didn't start doing these until 4 months before the test. Hope this helps and good luck.
arsen

Post by arsen »

SEP18 wrote:My DS had a tutor and he worked through the Bond books for English, Maths and V.R. 9-10 and then 10-11. He also did 10-11 plus (Bond). I also bought him the 10 minute test Bond books for Maths and V.R. which he enjoyed doing as a little extra in the last month. They literally do only take 10 minutes and they managed to keep his speed up whilst also revisiting all of the V.R. techniques.

His tutor supplied the CSSE papers and he didn't start doing these until 4 months before the test. Hope this helps and good luck.
Yes I think upto 10-11 would suffice for now. The 11-12 bonds were extremely hard for English - but not so bad for VR and Maths. Also, talking of 10 minute tests - the IPS series do some really great daily 10 minute tests. I am just clearing up and storing away all the papers and books we accumulated over the last few months. What a journey my son and I have been through- it's nice to have a nice clear desk back!!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

SEP18 wrote:My DS had a tutor and he worked through the Bond books for English, Maths and V.R. 9-10 and then 10-11. He also did 10-11 plus (Bond).

can I just ask which are the 10-11 plus papers? Are they different to 10-11?

Does anyone know when the Maths/English CSSE papers sat this year will be available to buy?
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

Teachermum76 wrote:
SEP18 wrote:Does anyone know when the Maths/English CSSE papers sat this year will be available to buy?

I phoned the CSSE yesterday and they said they would start selling this years past papers sometime in February but the actual date has not yet been decided.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now