Newport Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vza

Newport Exam

Post by vza »

My dear daughter today sat the Newport's test. When I picked her up, she was upset. She said “ Eng/VR was very hard, did not have enough time to do all the Math questions but OK with NV”. I need to boost DD moral for Wolverhampton exam next Saturday. I appreciate any feedbacks from other parents.
Anxious Dad with DD in distress.
hermanmunster

Re: Newport Exam

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi there - welcome to the forum,

sorry to hear that your DD found the exam hard and appreciate need to boost morale! Trouble is there don't tend to be many posters from Newport in the forum, can't understand it - they are missing a gem of a school there.. hopefully someone will come along who has some more info.

Meantime - best to encourage her by explaining that all exams are different and sometimes they feel awful but actually everyone feels like that and she may well have done well. The statement "that was easy" froma child coming out of an exam may not be want you want to hear,.... have they missed something??

Anyway good luck for next saturday - there may be some more wolverhampton takers around... help!!
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Hi there, my daughter sat the exam for Newport girls today too. I was a little concerned as she seemed really nervous when she arrived in the morning but was quite surprised to pick up a happy child!! My dd found that she didn't have time to complete the mental maths as there were 5 sheets to complete in
12 minutes and she found the verbal reasoning really hard too. I was quite alarmed when she said that there were at least 8 questions that she didn't know the answer to in the verbal section. My dd did her best and if that's not enough, well I feel she will do well wherever she ends up due to her shear hard work ethic and determination.

We're at Wolverhampton next week too - good luck to your dd. I'm sure your daughter has done better than she thinks.

All the very best

Leonking x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks for feedback Leonking. Sounds like there was just more MM than they could really be expected to finish - OK as don't expect any of them will ...! Always difficult for kids as they are so used to finishing things at school, and in practice.
Good Luck for all next week.
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Thank you for your reply. Shall wait eagerly for the results in March but would love to hear from anyone regarding their dd experience of the exam yesterday.

Many thanks again.

Leonking. :o
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think I'm right in saying the Newport exam is set by University of Durham CEM centre. This sort of exam is almost always as your daughter experienced, have a quick scan through people's experiences in the last few years in B'ham and Walsall (both on this forum) and in Warwickshire (separate forum) with similar CEM tests.

If you have a look on the Warks forum in particular (year before last, I think) you should easily be able to find at least a page or two of quotes about how traumatic it's been - often from people whose children turned out to be near the top when results came out. CEM tests are designed to be challenging to even the cleverest children, and it's often the cleverest (who are used to breezing through everything at school) who find it most stressful when they can't finish huge chunks of the test. Show her some examples of how other people have found these tests, she's in the majority in finding it difficult and impossible to finish in the time. The WGHS test will be completely different in style and content.

Mike
vza

Post by vza »

Thank you all for your replies. I am trying hard to build up her confidence for the Wolverhampton exam on Saturday.

Thanks again
V.Zandian
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now