When that allocation letter arrives, who should open it?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Footymad

When that allocation letter arrives, who should open it?

Post by Footymad »

Hello everybody,
Who should be the one to finally open that dreaded letter when it finally lands on the door mat ?

My daughter would like to be the one to open it, but as she will be at school and then drama after school, I think it is only right that my partner or I should open it.(seeing as the letter will be here at about 11.30am)

We let her open the 11+ Results letter, fortunately it was good news.

I know she will be extremely upset if she hasn't got the girls grammar school, so if I open it this will give me time to come to terms with the outcome and so comfort her if appropriate.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

How dors everybody else feel about who should be responsible for the official letter opening ceremony?

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

My daughter opened her letter. Luckily she got in - but she still cried! This time though (that was my first daughter) the post won't come until about 11.30ish, so I will be the only one at home. I am a bit stuck as to what to do as well. I don't want her to open a bad news letter, but equally I don't want to be the bringer of bad news at the end of the school day!

Post by Guest »

Both me and my husband work but luckily we are allowed to pick it up from the post office on the morning first thing they open (not sure if it will be 2nd or 3rd depending if they post the Essex letter first or second class - does anyone know??). Not sure whether to take it back home to my daughter or open it just in case it is bad news. When my son did it, he didn't want to get out of the bed to open it so we did!

Post by Guest »

Just rang Essex CC and they told me that the offer letter will go out on 1st March and is being sent 1st class - thank goodness for that!

Post by Guest »

I think if you can resist it, let your child open the letter. It's a very responsible thing for them to do. My son opened the letter from the grammar and it was a joy to hear him 'scream' with excitement that he had passed.

Post by Guest »

Hi Guest,
Yeah we let her open the letter with the test results, but we're not sure whether to let her open the letter that gives her the school.

I think in some LEA's you find out both at the same time...............

That must be particularly hard :?

Footymad
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Did I really understand right? Is one parent going to the post office to collect their mail? It won't change the outcome and only puts more pressure on the child. Surely, as grown ups we all have the required amount of patience to wait for a postman. No wonder some of the children feel as though they are under pressure, if this is what the parents are like!

Post by Guest »

Essex mum wrote:Did I really understand right? Is one parent going to the post office to collect their mail? It won't change the outcome and only puts more pressure on the child. Surely, as grown ups we all have the required amount of patience to wait for a postman. No wonder some of the children feel as though they are under pressure, if this is what the parents are like!
I take exception to you accusing us of putting pressure on our child. We have never done that and never will. We have been through this once and have two very sensible level headed children. If you are coming on here to insult other parents, don't. This is a forum for discussion - I am sure there are other sites to suit parents like you!

Post by Guest »

Don't worry guest, this is a typical Essex Mum post
Guest243

Post by Guest243 »

I thought this family had the right idea. If both parents work, then the poor child would have to wait until they finished work rather than straight after school like most of the children. Great idea.