Preparing your appeals letter (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
roma

Preparing your appeals letter (Bucks)

Post by roma »

With regards to preparing your appeals letter:

is it ok to present information in a table format on your appeals letter - to demonstrate reading age progress over the past 1/2 years and KS1 results etc?

Secondly in my daughters case she scored 115 and 120 in the bucks papers and there are no extenuating circumstances that I feel are relevant to her case other than the fact that like most other children she was nervous and anxious - the bucks was her first formal 11 plus exam and it was sat in a central location which was unfamiliar to her - no different to all the other children that experienced this too. - How do i put this within the letter? could you please advise?
Marylou

Re: Preparing your appeals letter

Post by Marylou »

roma wrote: Secondly in my daughters case she scored 115 and 120 in the bucks papers and there are no extenuating circumstances that I feel are relevant to her case other than the fact that like most other children she was nervous and anxious - the bucks was her first formal 11 plus exam and it was sat in a central location which was unfamiliar to her - no different to all the other children that experienced this too. - How do i put this within the letter? could you please advise?
Re your second question - not sure how you would put it into words, but it is interesting that your DD did better on the second paper (so close!) as I do think the first experience of sitting an exam in a central location can be extremely nerve-wracking for some and end up affecting the score on the first paper in particular. It is true that the children sitting the test centrally all have to deal with the same environment, but I suspect some find it more stressful than others - especially the more sensitive souls who are likely to pick up on and be upset by a tense atmosphere! :o

Best of luck with the appeal. :)

P.S. Mods - should this be in Appeals?
Marylou
Etienne

Re: Preparing your appeals letter

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Thanks for the information sent to the Appeals box. I like the tables and appendices! :D

The length is all right - what really matters is the attached evidence.

We would advise against mentioning character or positions of responsibility. They're not among the criteria for a successful appeal. Keep the focus on academic evidence - anything else is a distraction.

Marylou makes a useful point above. It's not usually going to be a strong argument (because it's hard to know who the 'sensitive souls' were out of all the children sitting the tests outside their normal environment), but with a score of 120, and the fact that this was in the second test, it's certainly worth a brief mention. I wouldn't say anything about it in your written appeal. Wait for the hearing, and just answer any questions as briefly as possible. In section B of the Q&As we advise:
If your extenuating circumstances are not too strong (in the sense that there isn’t any evidence at all to show that your child was affected), the best you can do is to appear reluctant to ‘offer excuses’, to let the panel drag the information out of you bit by bit, if the opportunity arises, rather than to build it up as a major issue. Understate the point, don’t overstate it, or you risk diluting your case as a whole.
Etienne
roma

Re: Preparing your appeals letter (Bucks)

Post by roma »

thank you both for such a speedy response and your advice - its duly noted and I am very grateful
As experts in this area and based on the information you have seen - does the academic information look strong enough to you :?:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think we have to wait for the headteacher's summary - the recommendation, the exact predictions for KS2 (5As would help!), the precise wording he/she uses ...... :)
Etienne
roma

Post by roma »

Etienne thank you for coming back to me so quickly - I am going to approach the headteacher in the morning with regards to filling in the headteachers report and will let you know what she says.

I share the anxiety of all those parents who are experiencing this for the first time and all the parent who with sheer tenancity progressed their appeals previously.

I too havent slept since the results came out - I feel as if I need to see this paper to put my mind at rest. Its almost like i need to understand what went wrong!! As a mother I know my daughters capabilities - I know where she struggles and I cant comprehend what happened - VR was her strength

Has anyone ever requested a remark? is this something that has happened in Bucks ? or am i letting my mind run away with me and clutching at straws?

:(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Has anyone ever requested a remark? is this something that has happened in Bucks ?
Definitely!
or am i letting my mind run away with me and clutching at straws?
I'm afraid remarks very rarely come up with a different result!

Some parents seem to find an analysis interesting (it shows, for example, how the candidate performed with different types of questions). It has to be paid for, of course .....
Etienne
roma

Post by roma »

In order to request an analysis Etienne - dont you need to have access to the paper?

I didnt think we could get access to a copy her paper :?:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

An analysis is a report they provide.

I don't think Bucks allow you to see the paper. (Unlike Kent where you can view by appointment!)
Etienne
roma

Post by roma »

that seems so unfair - I would really like to see the papers
can we not request under an FOI Etienne?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now