GLA NVR PACK2 TEST 5 SECTION 5 QUESTION 9

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shagor21

GLA NVR PACK2 TEST 5 SECTION 5 QUESTION 9

Post by shagor21 »

Help is needed to understand how is the answer C not B on GLA NVR PACK2, TEST 5, SECTION 5, QUESTION 9?

Thank you.
Stocky

Re: GLA NVR PACK2 TEST 5 SECTION 5 QUESTION 9

Post by Stocky »

Sorry I'm rubbish at explaining NVR in writing (I find it much easier to demonstrate it) the theme is the thick bold line. Please excuse my terminology!!! In the first column the thick line is horizontal, then point up to the right, then point up to the left, so horizontal, point up to the right, up to the left is the pattern, if the first column were to continue we would have a horizontal line next then point up to the right etc etc, the second column starts with point up to the left (which was the last on the previous column) so then we get horizontal then point up to the right, the final column starts with point up to the right, so then comes point up to the left (i.e c) then horizontal. The shapes themselves are a red herring, the key is the positioning of the thick line.
shagor21

Post by shagor21 »

Thank you very much. My DS told me it would be easier in rows to figure out. By the way, what did you mean by ''the shapes themselves are a red herring'' ?
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

you could also say each column/row contains a horizontal think black line, a thick black line pointing up to the left and one pointing up to the right, the right hand column and middle row are both missing a thick black line pointing up to the left, hence answer c. we noticed it from the sequence as we've seen that before. red herring is probably a bad choice of words. what i mean is, aside of each column containing the same three shapes, there is nothing more significant about the shape itself, so the different positions the triangle is in in answers a-e is irrelevant as its the thick black line which is important.
shagor21

Post by shagor21 »

Thank you very much, Stocky. My DS also explained this way, a thick black line pointing up to the left and one pointing up to the right, and was easy to understand.

Regards.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now