Scores 111 and 112, possible Bucks appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dukeshaft

Scores 111 and 112, possible Bucks appeal?

Post by Dukeshaft »

Hi

Help!
Got my DDs scores and much lower than expected!

I've been reading the Q&A and other posts with interest and I think that this site is a fantasic resource - I just wish I'd found it earlier.

So the question is have we got any chance with an appeal? Meeting with the deputy head tomorrow, who is also DDs form teacher and previously mentioned that she thought DD could benefit from GS education.

DD had 5c Literacy and 4a Maths in year 5 report and is in top groups. No extenuating circumstances, other than she was very nervous, but then I guess that's not unusual...

Sorry if that's vague, any help appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Scores 111 and 112, possible Bucks appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

If you've read section E of the Q&As, you will have seen that - based on last year's figures - there's something like an 8% chance of a successful appeal with a score of 112.

To be honest, you would need a wide range of really strong academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would also help to have some persuasive extenuating circumstances to explain any underperformance.
Etienne
Dukeshaft

Post by Dukeshaft »

Hi Etienne

Thanks for the response.

Not even sure if we will appeal, still trying to get our heads around what to do for the best, we haven't mentioned appealing to DD. Her three class mates including best friend all passed, she was in tears after school.

We are wondering how much more stress she can deal with - it is such a slim chance.

Hopefully will have a better idea after meeting at school tomorrow.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

For what it's worth Dukeshaft...you can go through the whole process without letting your daughter know, and you have nothing to lose, but all to gain. It may be a longshot, but if you have something in the way of extenuating circumstances and alternate academic evidence, it's got to be worth a shot. I see, you don' t think you have too much in the way of extenuating circs, maybe then look as hard as you can for other evidence of her ability. Good luck
Dukeshaft

Post by Dukeshaft »

Thanks 'Looking for help', and you're right it's worth a shot.

Met with the deputy head this morning, she fully behind an appeal on academic grounds and will write a letter of support.

However she had never seen the form from the Bucks CC site before, and mentioned that as we are OOC many of the sections don't apply!

Our only grounds are academic, DD is very bright but has always had a problem working quickly, I think that's what let her down in the tests. She is quite young, July, but from what I've read all that is not a valid reason due to the standardisation.

Anyway even if nothing comes of it posting on here is a kind of stress relief.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

However she had never seen the form from the Bucks CC site before, and mentioned that as we are OOC many of the sections don't apply!
Looking at the form, I really can't see very much that an OoC head couldn't fill in! :)

section A - 11+ test results (they can ignore)
section 2 - OoC recommendation (replaces section 1 which is for BCC and partner schools)
section 3 - KS2 levels (all schools, unless independent)
section 4 - other tests if available (schools may or may not do them - it has nothing to do with being OoC)
section 5 - curriculum report (all schools)
section 6 - anything the school knows about extenuating circumstances (all schools - presumably if a child had a broken arm, they would notice?)
section 7 - how strongly does the school support this appeal? (all schools)

That should be almost 100% then ...... ? :roll:
She is quite young, July, but from what I've read all that is not a valid reason due to the standardisation.
Agreed - but if nearer the date of the hearing you have evidence of recent rapid progress, the maturity argument could be used!
Etienne
Dukeshaft

Post by Dukeshaft »

Hi Etienne

Thanks for the response, I do appriciate you taking the time to help.

I'm supprised then, given what you've said, that DD's teacher seemed so unsure about the form - slightly worrying.

I take your point about the maturity issue, worth noting.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now