For a friend re extenuating circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherworriedmum

For a friend re extenuating circumstances

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Just a general point, a friends DD failed her 11 plus. She is appealing on extenuating circumstances (as well as academic ability - 5c/b at the end of Yr5). She has been told by someone else that she needs to show that the extenuating circumstances has an impact on her school work and not just the 11plus, otherwise she cant evidence her argument; is this true?
Sally-Anne

Re: For a friend re extenuating circumstances

Post by Sally-Anne »

anotherworriedmum wrote:Just a general point, a friends DD failed her 11 plus. She is appealing on extenuating circumstances (as well as academic ability - 5c/b at the end of Yr5).
The wrong way round of course, but I will let that pass!
She has been told by someone else that she needs to show that the extenuating circumstances has an impact on her school work and not just the 11plus, otherwise she cant evidence her argument; is this true?
It depends entirely what the extenuating circumstances are. A couple of examples:

:: If it was bullying, a child might throw themselves into their schoolwork as a distraction, but in that case she would hopefully have confirmation that the school were aware of the issue and dealing with it.

:: If the child broke her arm the day before the first paper, it would obviously not have affected her schoolwork.

However, as a rule of thumb, when it is something longer term it is very helpful if it can be shown that the child's work suffered, or the teachers can confirm that she was affected in other ways at school over the period of the problem.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
anotherworriedmum wrote:Just a general point, a friends DD failed her 11 plus. She is appealing on extenuating circumstances (as well as academic ability - 5c/b at the end of Yr5).
The wrong way round of course, but I will let that pass!
Wow thanks for the quick reply Sally-Anne
I have read all the threads here and I get the impression she should major on the academic ability and then as a final point raise the fact that the Grandmother died a couple of weeks before the 11plus as the final bullet point, rather than the other way around.

I need to get her to register her for more advice I think, hope I can persuade her!

Thanks again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Wow thanks for the quick reply Sally-Anne
It's a pleasure.
I have read all the threads here and I get the impression she should major on the academic ability and then as a final point raise the fact that the Grandmother died a couple of weeks before the 11plus as the final bullet point, rather than the other way around.
Precisely. I sensed that the cart and the horse were the wrong way round ...