Extenuating circumstances over previous 12 months (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

littlebookworm

Extenuating circumstances over previous 12 months (Bucks)

Post by littlebookworm »

Hello,
My daughter scored 110 and 120 in the recent tests. The 110 was quite a shock, and we did expect her to achieve higher scores in both test. Please read our extenuating circumstances which have been forwarded in a separate email as they are very important in this case. I am unsure whether to appeal or not as this is not a 'normal' situation. Headteacher does support our case, but only submitted 1/3 in his recommendations prior to the test, (at that point he was unaware of our circumstances and the impact on our daughter). He was aware shortly before the first test. Predicted levels for Y6 Reading 5a, Writing 5b, Maths 5c. Always a good school report, but not outstanding. A complete and utter bookworm and has read over 1200 books. Have desperately tried to get independent CATs test as this could help, but the school doesn't do them and I can't find anyone that offers this? I would be extremely grateful for any advice you are able to offer me. Thank you. :roll:
Etienne

Re: Extenuating circumstances over previous 12 months

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Very sorry to hear about your circumstances, but I'd like to reassure you that panels often come across such cases, and they will not be judgemental - the only thing they will judge, and be concerned about, is whether the academic evidence is strong enough for your child to be deemed 'qualified' (taking into account how she may have been affected by the extenuating circumstances).

I would urge you to provide as much evidence as you can.

I would also advise you to read all the Q&As. There's an awful lot to take in, I know :) - but you will find (for example) answers to questions such as the one on CATs.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't worry about a 1:3 - it's the '1' that really matters.

Good luck!
Etienne
littlebookworm

Post by littlebookworm »

Thank you, that advice really does help a lot. Hence I just have contacted an Educational Psychologist to see if we can get an assessment done to help our case.

My other concern is the 110 as although this was in the first test (directly following aforementioned difficulties) I have read that the panel could consider the 120 to be the 'lucky' score as opposed to 110 being a result of extenuating circumstances. I am in a dilemna as whether to appeal or not as I feel my daughter has been through enough and I am unsure as to whether our case is strong enough with these scores and her predicted levels? (Obviously trying to build on her confidence at the moment is so important).
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

littlebookworm wrote:I have read that the panel could consider the 120 to be the 'lucky' score as opposed to 110 being a result of extenuating circumstances.
A gap of 10 points is fairly significant. If the real "limit" of a child's ability is 110, they would be unlikely to achieve a score of 120 in another test a week later. It suggests that the first score of 110 was the "depressed" one, and that it was affected by the extenuating circumstances, so I think you should be reasonably safe on that point.

It is then a matter of proving that the score of 120 still does not represent her full ability. It is only a single mark, and hopefully the Head's recommendation of "1" for academic potential will be a strong influence on the panel. That will depend on how accurate the rest of the recommendations were, of course. You might like to ask the Head for the full picture on those now, because they will be included in the appeal pack anyway.

Also, has the Head told you why he gave her a "3" for attitude to work? If not, it would be worth asking him because the panel may well ask you that same question. Presumably the extenuating circumstances have impacted on her concentration in school at times?
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

You do not need to tell your daughter that you plan to appeal so she does not have to worry unnecessarily or get her hopes up or face possible disappointment a second time should you be unsuccessful - you have little to lose by appealing.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You really ought to appeal with a score of 120! :)

A panel won't assume that 120 must be the 'lucky score' - they will look to see what the evidence indicates.

No guarantees, of course - but I agree: no need to tell your daughter about the appeal.
Etienne
littlebookworm

Post by littlebookworm »

Thanks for such positive feedback.

Oh dear, my naivety has confused the situation, I'm sorry. 3:1 was the HT original recommendation. He has said this was due to inconsistency in her work as at the time he was unaware of situation and the causes of this.

In addition, there have been 4 HTs during her 3.5 years at this school, the current one having only been there for 6 months, does this help at all?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi littlebookworm, just to add to Sally-Anne’s earlier post, it is definitely possible to get an appeal panel to ‘throw out’ ie disregard a particularly low test score in 1 Test on account of extenuating circumstances – we successfully did this 3 years ago for our DD.

Then ‘all’ you need to do is provide sufficient alternative evidence as to why she fell 1 mark short. Good luck.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

littlebookworm wrote:Oh dear, my naivety has confused the situation, I'm sorry. 3:1 was the HT original recommendation. He has said this was due to inconsistency in her work as at the time he was unaware of situation and the causes of this.

In addition, there have been 4 HTs during her 3.5 years at this school, the current one having only been there for 6 months, does this help at all?
Slightly more tricky, but his comment demonstrates that he has really not understood the recommendation process.

Any inconsistency in her work should be reflected in the second number, and not the first! The first one is her academic potential, the second is her attitude to work. I think you might like to double and triple check them, and very politely query what the thinking was behind both numbers. To clarify:

:: 1:3 means "Exceptionally highly recommended grammar based on academic potential, output of work varies"

:: The 3:1 means: "Recommended for grammar with reservations about academic potential. Self-starter. Independent worker. Consistent. Highly motivated."

3:1 has always struck me as a rather perverse recommendation anyway, and we don't see many of them, but it really doesn't seem to fit your DD's case at all.
littlebookworm

Re: Extenuating circumstances over previous 12 months (Bucks

Post by littlebookworm »

Thank you again. I will receive HT report on Monday and take it from there, he has been VERY supportive since being 'in the know' regarding our situation.