Yet another books for boys question (13yo)

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Yet another books for boys question (13yo)

Post by mike1880 »

Hi all,

We're struggling to think of books for our 13yo, he's got to one of those awkward phases where he's exhausted all the kind of things he's been reading and needs to move on. Bearing in mind he reads 2 years or more ahead of his age (although probably somewhat behind in emotional maturity terms). At the moment he reads a mix of teenage books from the school library (e.g. Hunger Games) and whatever we're reading.

We're contemplating things like Waugh and Hemingway but I'm completely blank about what I used to read at this age.

Anyone any suggestions?

Mike
asdguest

Re: Yet another books for boys question (13yo)

Post by asdguest »

My three teenage boys read very randomly in their early teens. From memory:

Terry Pratchett
HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Clockwork Orange
Moby Dick
Jack London
A Rebours (very random)
Touching the Void

Also autobiographies of favourite sportsmen.
marigold

Post by marigold »

My 14 year old daughter ( with quite masculine tastes in literature) has just enjoyed Clavel's Shogun, JG Ballard, Empire of The Sun, all the Bernard Cornwell Sharpe novels and Simon Scarrow who writes books set in Roman times. I have not read any of them so cannot vouch for their content but my motto has always been as long as they are reading, I don't care what it is. She has also kindled/bought Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird which seem to be going down well too.

What about John Le Carre, Trevanian etc, nothing like a good spy novel and they give a good insight into the cold war which no doubt be part of his history syllabus soon.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have yet to meet a 13 year old of either gender who hasn't enjoyed 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' , and probably not just because it's full of swear words.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote: I'm completely blank about what I used to read at this age.
Mike even if you could remember it might not help...in my case Fab208 magazine :oops:
mad?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Mike, I don’t think it really matters what he reads, actually.

I spent my teen years reading Marvel comics and Tintin books while my father desperately tried to foist Waugh and Graham Greene on me. Since I have an English degree and have earned my living as a writer for the past 20+ years, I can honestly say I think the volume was more important than the content. :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

Fab 208 ?

It was Look and Learn in my House.

M x
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:Fab 208 ?

It was Look and Learn in my House.

M x
Oh hideous memories of my Pink magazine subscription being cancelled and replaced with Look and Learn as my mother deemed Pink inappropriate (it was :oops: ). I was furious and refused to read the thing. EVER. She was right of course, but that's not the point (still!) :D
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I remember my dad's eyes nearly popping out when my first copy of "Jackie" arrived. Mind you, nothing to what's in the magazines these days!! :oops:

No sensible suggestions Mike, but yes, mine have loved "the curious incident". Agatha Christie or some more recent detective (Rebus etc)"?
scary mum
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

scary mum wrote:I remember my dad's eyes nearly popping out when my first copy of "Jackie" arrived. Mind you, nothing to what's in the magazines these days!! :oops:
I used to love reading 'Jackie' as a little girl and my sister read 'Blue Jeans'. I couldn't wait for the paperboy to drop my magazine through the letter box! Those were the days...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now