scores for Essex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scores for Essex

Post by Guest »

Hi, does any one know what a standardised score of '100' relates to in terms of a %. Also does anyone know what the last-girl-in to the Colchester Girls County High scored?

Thanks
sleepless

Essex scores

Post by sleepless »

Good morning to you.

Firstly, let me say that the CSSE results that arrived on Saturday were in a completely different format to the ones I had had for my other children. Partly perhaps because this child was not offered a place, whereas my other children were but mainly because the CSSE had just changed for format.

I found it very difficult to assess where my child may have come overall ie position attatained versus number of students taking exam in total and I find it impossible to answer your question.

I wonder whether they have changed the format so that parents cannot actually see the raw scores, ie maths 14 out of 40 (for example) and therefore will not, in their frustration, be able to get annoyed with their offspring about it.

One thing I can say is that the cut of score for Southend priority was 302.5 and, as a general rule, that equates to round about position number 1900 but it doesn't answer your question.

I would imagine, from previous experience, that Colchester girls would have required an overall aggregated score of at least 315 but I'm only making a varied educated guess.

However, if you find out any more, do post to this site. I am always intrigued by the system.

Post by Guest »

Wow, that was quick.... My daughter achieved 314.73 (and I am very proud of her)... so if the cut-off point is about 315, I am both disappointed for her and heartened as the competition is very stiff; although I won't have the heart to tell her how close she possibly came. From the letter (as you know) it is virtually impossible to work out what is going on! Even the admission numbers seem wrong as they should not be taking 138 girls (105 is the number). If 115 is the bottom grade for the Girls High, we are too far off to even think of a vacancy occurring :(

So, its either Philip Morant (via the selection test) or St. Mary's (via the test and £££) for us. Funnily enough my daughter thought that the St. Mary's test was harder than the 11+.

Only two more children to go........
sleepless

Essex scores

Post by sleepless »

May I suggest that you phone Colchester High and ask them where your daughter is on the waiting list. They will be able to tell you and you may be disappointed or you may be very pleasantly surprised and children do drop out.

You don't need to tell your daughter where she is on the list , even if she is very close because you don't want to give false hope but it might put your mind at rest one way or the other.

Do let me know how you get on if you do call because I would be interested to see how close my estimation was.

Best wishes

Sleepless
sleepless

Essex scores

Post by sleepless »

By the way, I have been trying to get hold of the CSSE on the phone this moring, as there are a couple of things that I want to check with them but they are, so far, constantly engaged. Surprise, surprise!!

Post by Guest »

Just got through to CSSE, they could not explain the actual relationship between scores and %'s... but a score of 100 is the average score of all 4000 exam results, and 130 is the top 2.5% so my child is between the two. Colchester girls are taking 105 places out of the top 138 (the difference are going to Chelmsford).... so only if we lived in a Southend catchment could we get a Grammar school place, which we don't.

See you all next year!
sleepless

results

Post by sleepless »

I offer my sympathy.

I had not realised quite how badly I was going to take it when I discovered my child had not got the required number of marks. The child in question already has two siblings at the school and so much wanted to join them.

I am trying really hard to accept things but my state of mind is not improving and my child is still distraught, despite that the fact that friends are going to the allocated school.

This has been one of the worst weeks of my life and I'm still sleepless!
sleepless

results

Post by sleepless »

I offer my sympathy.

I had not realised quite how badly I was going to take it when I discovered my child had not got the required number of marks. The child in question already has two siblings at the school and so much wanted to join them.

I am trying really hard to accept things but my state of mind is not improving and my child is still distraught, despite that the fact that friends are going to the allocated school.

This has been one of the worst weeks of my life and I'm still sleepless!
Not as sleepless as you

Post by Not as sleepless as you »

Your dilemma and trauma is unimaginable for the rest of us. Somehow you need to put a positive spin on the whole issue and give your child extra love and attention in the coming months as well as directing the older siblings to offer their full support.

There are grammar schools up and down the UK (referred to as Partially Selective) that allow a back door for siblings to enter the school without examination for just such a reason.

Maybe there is hope if your child at least reasonably high up on the waiting list?
sleepless

Essex scores

Post by sleepless »

You are right, of course, but one of the worst aspects of the whole thing for us is that the school we put as a first preference for our child (the one with the sibilings alaready in attendance) is in an area which operates a "Priority Area catchment" system. So, we are able to see from our child's results that they would have got a place had we lived in the catchment area.

Quite gut wrenching really but we have to try to get on with it now and put it behind us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now