Support From Primary school....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Support From Primary school....

Post by countrymum »

Hi,

Just wondered what experiences you may have from those of you whose LO's have sat or sitting 11plus regarding support from the primary school. I imagine many private Primary school's are used to children taking the 11plus so are supportive and perhaps coach them in that direction. My experience is that it is something I kind of feel I should not talk about too loudly at our ( happy with ) primary that I am considering my DD taking the exam. I appreciate the *extra learning* is to be done in our own time and wouldn't expect the school to cover specific subjects for the 11 plus, but is it any benefit to them if they know my DD is taking the exam, or not really.
Jeepers

Re: Support From Primary school....

Post by Jeepers »

Hi

We are OOC, although around 10% of the cohort each year go on to GS. Like you many don't mention it, but I decided to go for a straightforward approach. In year 4 before I started any form of coaching I spoke to the teacher and asked for an honest opinion on whether DC was capable of doing well in GS .

Last summer yr 5 we said what we had been doing, in discussions with the teacher around DC's improved performance in maths which turned out to be an unexpected and welcome by product. In yr 6 start of year parents evening the teacher seemed to know that a number of DC were preparing for exams, as she mde a comment about it before we mentioned it (not that she followed this up with any suggestion that we should compensate by holding back with all of the increased school homework that came upon us at that time....) then just before we put the form in we had a discussion with the headmaster about school choice so it came up then.

We didn't expect any support from our primary school relating to coaching, and it definitely didn't make any difference to the school in knowing what we were doing, but the teacher's positive comments about ability stuck in my mind, which helped, and at least I didn't feel that parents evenings were a case of "don't mention the you-know what..." so I would advise talk to the teacher, even if you don't want to talk in the playground (a very different kettle of fish imo :lol: ...)

J
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it is worth and cannot do any harm (unless you get a really anti teacher, which hopefully won't be the case.....) - also tend to think it is better if it comes from the parents rather than the teacher suddenly asking the kids in the class.

Wasn't a problem for us as when DS was in year 2 the head says "I presume you will looking at selective education for him?". Mr & Mrs Munster who were completely blank about anything to do with senior schools at that point just said "eerr .. suppose we are!"
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Our primary has always been rather impartial when it came to the 11 plus, not particularly encouraging if you asked if your child was capable but did provide the children with bacon sandwiches at the breakfast club the days they took the test :P . The year my DS1 took it the whole group passed and with top scores, so I think that made the school feel rather proud ( after all, it does show the school in a good light ) and I have just come back from a parents consultation with my DS2 where I was asked if he would be taking it and then given advice as to what things we need to cover :lol: At least that must mean the staff don't sit in the staff room at lunchtime reading my posts !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh but they might be bluffing, and trying to see if you turn scarlett when given unneeded advice.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh no, I'm feeling worried now ! I'll have to either go cold turkey or change my name to Mavis. :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That sounds great, Scarlett, I mean, Mavis. Sounds like the school are being much more helpful and supportive after all your interventions.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

My DCs primary school is not at all supportive. I was advised not to put my DS in for the exam, told that bright children flourish no matter where they end up and treated to an insight into why the class teacher's own children did not go to GS. This was all totally unprompted - I never raised the issue with DC's teachers.

I have since discovered that the school brags about DS getting a GS place when new reception parents are shown round the school!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks so much for the feedback. I mentioned it very briefly a year or so ago, though similar to first timer the response was oh dont go thinking about that yet, she shall do fine whichever school she goes on to blah blah....and havent really mentioned it since. Think she may be the only one in her class taking it, though you never know and i think a couple may be going the indie route. I think I shall mention it to her teacher again though and may get some feedback. Thanks again.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The thing is you don't really need to ask the teacher if it's ok for DD to take the 11 plus...at least not in Kent...you just put them in for it and the school receives the list of the children taking it. The only thing is they might not support an appeal if they didn't feel the child was capable. With my DS1 I was told he wouldn't pass and I said I wanted him to take it , but was told they might not appeal for him. Anyway, he passed with flying colours and I decided then not to mention DS2 and our intentions...but luckily his teacher has suggested it first. I just felt how would I feel if his teacher was against it ? I'd rather not know what they thought and just do my own thing. I'm a bit like that .