Yet another thread on books for boys but slightly different!

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Yet another thread on books for boys but slightly different!

Post by fatbananas »

Am really sorry for yet another post on books for boys but as the other posts were for different age groups, I thought it was a good idea to begin another one.

My DS is year 3 but a very able reader. He has read the first five Harry Potters but can't bring himself to get through the 6th one because he finds it way too scary. He's read all the Roald Dahls, Mr Gums, David Walliams. He's read quite a few classics, like Tom's Midnight Garden, Stig of the Dump, Dr Dolittle, Alice in Wonderland. He is currently reading with me Wind in the Willows which he loves so much, despite challenging vocab that I am seriously struggling (ok, failing) with! But I am stuck for ideas for books to read on his own. He would always have his nose in a book but now the natural progression after the above are things seem to be those which are a bit 'edgy', like Lemony Snickett, Skulduggery etc and he starts them but they make him too anxious and he won't continue. He also won't touch Michael Morpurgo. We tried the Butterfly Lion but he found it v upsetting and it has put him off them now.

Can anyone suggest any fiction (he does read non-fiction too but I'd like to balance it with some stories) that is going to keep him engaged, stretch him without making him anxious and scared? Any ideas would be very gratefully received!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fatbananas

Re: YET ANOTHER thread on books for boys but slightly differ

Post by fatbananas »

Anyone? :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi FB....I did see your post earlier, and feel bad now for not replying ! :) I just couldn't think of anything which your son hadn't appeared to have read ! If he doesn't like sad/horror type books, then I suppose you have adventure ( Percy Jackson? Read with you ? ) or animal stories ? I would go to Waterstones or the like with him and just look through the hundreds of books they have there. I was also looking at The Guardian books review online which have age sections and book suggestions . Sorry, not much help. Just pass on your avid reading magic dust onto me for DS2 please.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Horrible Histories - may not challenge him in reading terms, but kids love them.

Robert Muchamore - Cherub and Henderson boys - may be suitable

Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals

Swallows and Amazon

Secret Seven/Famous Five

Dick King Smith
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you Scarlett! Will check out the Guardian list. Good idea to go into Waterstones. I ALWAYS come out of there with some 'Lego' book when we go in there, but perhaps I can use that as a bargaining tool! :wink: and will check out Guardian suggestions.

Pheasantchick: Gerald Durrell and Dick King Smith are good ideas. I shall take a look at them. Robert Muchamore I'd never heard of :oops: but will look at him too. He's read Swallows and Amazons with me and the he began reading Famous Five but even the suspense in those was a bit much for him sometimes :roll: Clearly, I need to make the home environment a little more exciting so the books seem tame in comparison :twisted:

Thanks for the great suggestions.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

pheasantchick wrote:Horrible Histories - may not challenge him in reading terms, but kids love them.

Robert Muchamore - Cherub and Henderson boys - may be suitable

Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals

Swallows and Amazon

Secret Seven/Famous Five

Dick King Smith
Whilst I do love Horrible Histories myself - Some aspects of the books may not be suitable for very young children, but if in doubt check the book first.
;D
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Willard Price's Adventure Series are really good! Not scary, just adventurous and very well written.

A. McGowen will be continuing the series.
aargh

Post by aargh »

If your DS likes fantasy/magic, I always say Diana Wynne Jones because her magical worlds are very well written. The characters behave like people really behave and the societies would actually function. They are not too dark either but good for a wide range of ages. And she has written lots.
There are a whole set of fantasy authors who started in the seventies who are worth considering (these are the guys who Rowling got inspiration from. I get greatly irked when my class compare them to Rowling when it should be the other way round!). For example:
Try also Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books
Alan Garner
Peter Dickinson
Joan Aitkin
Eva Ibbotson's fantasy ones are quite fun (platform 13 was the inspiration for platform 9 3/4)
Rosemary Sutcliffe for historical fiction (eagle of the ninth etc)
Leon Garfield for fictionalised history set in 18th century
Norton Juster's Phantom Tollbooth

Terry Pratchett should keep him going for a while if he gets into them. Intelligent and funny.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks everyone. They are great suggestions. Thanks so much. :D
la boume

Post by la boume »

Hi Fatbananas
Colet court school website has the reading lists for different ages.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now