Personal circumstances on an appeal of 119 (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
New Parent

Personal circumstances on an appeal of 119 (Bucks)

Post by New Parent »

My child achieved 119 in both tests and is fully supported by the school. Academically she has very good evidence. She is already working at level 5 in Maths and English and her reading/spelling age is above 2 yrs; received a 1:1 recommendation for head of school. However, i don't feel this is enough and there is a personal matter which in hindsight has i feel affected her performance in the tests. Should this be mentioned in the appeal notes or should I wait until the hearing? I don't want to muddy the academic evidence and look as though we are making excuses.
I have sent a message to the appeals box.
Etienne

Re: Personal circumstances on an appeal of 119

Post by Etienne »

Rest assured - nothing unusual about your extenuating circumstances, and the panel will have come across this situation before.

It's important that you tell them, either in your appeal letter or at the hearing itself (whichever you prefer).

As there's no evidence, they will have to decide whether to accept what you say, and to what extent it impacted on the 11+.
Etienne
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think that the panel would see this as extenuating circumstances. I feel that because we didn't mention it to the school and get medical advice from GP, it would look like an excuse that we cannot evidence. It's a personal issue and would a short paragraph suffice on the appeal notes which I can then mention in detail to the panel in person. To be honest, i don't know how I am going to address this in my notes and whether i should just wait. In your opinion, should this be mentioned in the original appeal notes?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you think that the panel would see this as extenuating circumstances.
Yes, I think they probably will.
I feel that because we didn't mention it to the school and get medical advice from GP, it would look like an excuse that we cannot evidence.
It's not something for which evidence is normally available, so the panel will understand and are unlikely to think of it as an excuse.
It's a personal issue and would a short paragraph suffice on the appeal notes which I can then mention in detail to the panel in person. To be honest, i don't know how I am going to address this in my notes and whether i should just wait. In your opinion, should this be mentioned in the original appeal notes?
Do what you feel most comfortable with. It will make absolutely no difference whether you mention it in your appeal letter or at the hearing - just tell the panel one way or another!
Etienne
New Parent

Re: Personal circumstances on an appeal of 119 (Bucks)

Post by New Parent »

Thank you. I feel that I should mention it and will briefly state it in my appeal notes and then explain in more detail during the hearing. I hope the panel are understanding. Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suggest you conclude with "we hope the panel will consider whether this personal issue had some bearing on her performance in the tests".
Etienne
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Etienne

I will definitely include that on my notes. PS. did you get my second email to the appeals box.

Thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I will definitely include that on my notes. PS. did you get my second email to the appeals box.
Yes - that's why I've made the suggestion above.
Thanks again.
You're welcome! :)
Etienne
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Etienne

I have sent the appeal papers off this morning. In your opinion and past experience, does an appeal with high academic evidence and our circumstances, ever get upheld. My partner said that I should have not mentioned the personal circumstances because there was enough academic evidence. Oh well....it's too late now...already in the post. :x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

New Parent wrote:In your opinion and past experience, does an appeal with high academic evidence and our circumstances, ever get upheld.
I am afraid it is impossible to say because every case is unique. An appeal on 119 can be successful, but it depends above all on the strength of the academic evidence ...
My partner said that I should have not mentioned the personal circumstances because there was enough academic evidence. Oh well....it's too late now...already in the post. :x
... and the weight the panel attaches to the mitigating circumstances. You were absolutely right to mention the mitigating circumstances. They will have had an impact on her performance, and possibly not only for the first test, but for the second one as well.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now