Togs/Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dilemma

Togs/Newstead

Post by Dilemma »

I know this is going to sound a bit selfish of me. My daughter has been offered a place at Togs. Now the cat has been thrown among the pigeons and a letter from Newstead arrived in the post also offering her a place. Her mind had been pretty made up already to go to Togs but now she wondering whether she should think about Newstead. She scored highly in the Newstead exams but Togs was her first choice on the CAf forms. All thoughts and comments are welcome. :? :? :?
Anna

Post by Anna »

How is it possible that your second choice school can offer you a place when you have already got your first choice school?

I am assuming you have a preference system in Kent LEA on your CAF as we have in our area.

Once a child gets their first preference they are out of the system and their 2nd,3rd,4th,5th or 6th choice will not consider them any more even if they have passed tests or satisfied admission criteria.

I find it cruel that the children on waiting lists have to endure the uncertainty and their parents have to go through the trauma of appeals.

If this is the way your LEA operates, it causes an inordinate amount of heartache. I would ask you to kindly consider your choices quickly to put some poor family out of their misery. It makes a mockery of the First preference system.
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Dear Anna,

Love you! Put more eloquently than I ever would, being one of the families allegedly in '1st Place' on the waiting list only to find that letters have gone out as above.

I'm going to go and have a silent scream!
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

I am really surprised to read this. It isn't really very ethical and not in keeping with the 1st preference process at all.
guest2

togs/newstead

Post by guest2 »

Astounding!!!! Can i please urge dilemma to make quick decision - my daughter is desperate for place at TOGS - her first choice!

Post by Guest »

You remain on the waiting list for all schools above your allocated school on your CAF form. The schools below your name is withdrawn. That's how I understood it.

Quotes from herfordshire. Does this apply here too?
Waiting list offers at selective schools are dealt with by the schools not by the local authorities. So it is still possible to hold on to more than one place for a short period of time. The central control is no longer there after 1st March.

Also waiting list positions are decided and communicated to parents before parents communicate to the local authority whether they are interested in remaining on the lists of higher ranked schools. I understand initial waiting lists include all children who have not been offered a place at the school on allocations day. Later when the local authority communicates parental responses to the school, those children not interested in a potential offer are removed from the list. I suppose this is why schools can move down the lists so rapidly.
My child was offered a place at QE (our 3rd choice) on allocations day in March but was on the waiting list at our first choice. We now have a place at our first choice, we were in receipt of two offers at one time (in the middle of April) so I suppose this would be an example
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

I am just so tempted to ring Bromley LEA and have a rant! Need to go to Rehab now just to calm down :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I don't understand how this is possible? As far as I was led to believe 1st preference took precedence when you met the criteria, leaving all other choices N/A.

I would be tempted to call the LEA to ask why this situation has occurred in the first place.

Dilemma,

I would urge you to make your choice as soon as possible, to free up 1 place at schools were numerous parents have been waiting for their 1st choice.
If the boot was on the other foot and you were the parent waiting to hear from your first choice, would you like to be told someone who didn't put it as a 1st option and who had been allocated their first option, is sitting on what could be your child’s place.

From the bottom of my heart I would ask you to decide as promptly as possible, some people don't have a choice and don't even know were there children will be going in September.
I know this isn't of your doing but you could ease the problem by making your choice quickly.

I cannot believe that the LEA can do this I'm outraged!

AM

Re: Togs/Newstead

Post by Guest »

Dilemma wrote:I know this is going to sound a bit selfish of me. My daughter has been offered a place at Togs. Now the cat has been thrown among the pigeons and a letter from Newstead arrived in the post also offering her a place. Her mind had been pretty made up already to go to Togs but now she wondering whether she should think about Newstead. She scored highly in the Newstead exams but Togs was her first choice on the CAf forms. All thoughts and comments are welcome. :? :? :?
CAf forms.......plural? a typo.

Have seen in another area a situation which looked like two cafs submitted to two LEAs using two address's. No evidence of this here. No offence intended.

Secret Squirell

Post by Guest »

There are TWO separate local authorities involved here - Kent and Bromley. So two separate CAFs are probably legitimate.

By the way, the system operated in Kent is not First Preference anyway. It is now EQUAL preference.