The school supports appeal with reservations (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TA123

The school supports appeal with reservations (Bucks)

Post by TA123 »

Our DD scored only 114/109 and the HT told us that the school could not fully support our appeal although our DD had good marks in school tests (above average in some and higher average in other). Does it make any sense to appeal without full school support?
Etienne

Re: The school supports appeal with reservations

Post by Etienne »

It's harder, but there have been cases where appeals have succeeded with a '3' recommendation. It rather depends what evidence you can assemble.

See answers (a) and (b) in B20 where there's no report at all from the school:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- I think your approach should be similar.
Etienne
TA123

Re: The school supports appeal with reservations (Bucks)

Post by TA123 »

Thank you very much, Etienne. I have just had look at her CAT results, and she's got this year 127 in verbal and 123 in non-verbal, although only 111 in quant. Her KS1 results (as far as I understand, they are stated in the annual school report) are 4b in reading and math, 3a in writing and 4c in science. Is it normal for school not to fully support children with such results? I mean they are probably not brilliant but still quite high.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Her KS1 results (as far as I understand, they are stated in the annual school report) are 4b in reading and math, 3a in writing and 4c in science.
Before I answer your other question, are you sure these are the KS1 results (end of year 2)? What are the KS2 predictions (for end of year 6)?
Etienne
TA123

Post by TA123 »

Etienne wrote:
Her KS1 results (as far as I understand, they are stated in the annual school report) are 4b in reading and math, 3a in writing and 4c in science.
Before I answer your other question, are you sure these are the KS1 results (end of year 2)? What are the KS2 predictions (for end of year 6)?
Sorry, no. I can't actually find her KS1 results. I'm not sure how good they were as we moved to Bucks in the middle of her Year 2 and changed school. I do not know how to get predicted grades. Does school normally release them to parents? Sorry if the question is a bit daft but my schooling was in a different country.
Last edited by TA123 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you go to
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... anuals.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and click on the 5th download (Headteachers Appeal Summary Sheet - 2012), these are the questions one would hope the headteacher is answering. Question 3 is headed "EXPECTED KEY STAGE 2 SAT SCORES". These are the predicted levels for the end of year 6.

I know you're in Bucks. Your daughter is at a Bucks school, isn't she? If so, the headteacher should be giving this information.
Etienne
TA123

Post by TA123 »

Etienne wrote:If you go to
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... anuals.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and click on the 5th download (Headteachers Appeal Summary Sheet - 2012), these are the questions one would hope the headteacher is answering. Question 3 is headed "EXPECTED KEY STAGE 2 SAT SCORES". These are the predicted levels for the end of year 6.

I know you're in Bucks. Your daughter is at a Bucks school, isn't she? If so, the headteacher should be giving this information.
Her predicted grade is 5.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If that's a 5 for both English and maths, it sounds all right.
4b in reading and math, 3a in writing and 4c in science.
Could you tell me where these levels come from - the year 5 report? Year 4?
Etienne
TA123

Post by TA123 »

Etienne wrote:If that's a 5 for both English and maths, it sounds all right.
4b in reading and math, 3a in writing and 4c in science.
Could you tell me where these levels come from - the year 5 report? Year 4?
Year 5 report.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The 127 for VR looks fine.

Maths is probably all right, but unlikely to be more than 5c.

From 4b/3a in English (year 5) to a level 5 at KS2 might be optimistic.

I can only guess that the headteacher is basing the '3' recommendation on SATs, and thinks that, although your daughter is clearly above average, she's not sufficiently 'above average'.

You could try asking the school what their reservations are, and why more weight hasn't been given to the 127 in VR.

The head will probably argue that there's no direct relationship between 127 in an NFER VR test and the Bucks 11+ - but there's no direct relationship between SATs and the Bucks 11+ either!
Etienne