Christmas Cheer and the case of the small banana

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Christmas Cheer and the case of the small banana

Post by um »

OK, this is sort of following on from mystery's thread on school/parent engagement, but on a different topic.

I am generally happy with my dc's schools, but the following happened today and I just want your op on whether I am over-reacting.

It was dc4's Christmas play today. I went to school to watch him, taking dc5 (age 2) with me. dc5 had of course had his lunch (play was at 2pm) but being 2, forgot about this when he saw a load of boxes in the reception area filled with bananas. Hundreds of bananas, literally.

OK, so dc5 has a major soft spot for bananas. He wanted one. I had other things with me but no banana. I asked a receptionist if she'd mind him having a small one, but she said no. :cry:
So I had to carry dc5 kicking and screaming, down to the hall. In the hall it was clear that dc5 was not going to forget about the bananas. He would not be quiet and the play was about to begin. I told a teacher who told me to go down and ask again as it really wasn't a problem (and no-one wants a whinging toddler ruining the Christmas play). I went all the way back down and offered to pay for a banana for my dc5. Both receptionists steadfastly and rudely refused to let him have one. :cry:
Fortunately dc5 got the message and, rather cowed, accepted that the main character in today's Christmas production was going to be Scrooge (before he met the angel, mind you).
However I am just pretty freaked out by the incident, and even angry. :evil: It certainly ruined the play for me. All that harping on about good will to men :roll:

I am inclined to feel (given my unfortunate habit of extrapolating big ideas from small events) that if a school lack the basic humanity to give a rather small and cute 2 year old a small banana....then how are my older dc's being cared for ? :?

PS. Forgot to add that when he first went near the boxes to look, a receptionist opened the hatch and shouted at him not to touch them...
Last edited by um on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aargh

Re: Christmas Cheer and the case of the small banana

Post by aargh »

Very strange behaviour Um, especially as the teacher had said it would be OK.
The only reason I can think of not to give you a banana would be if there was exactly one provided for each pupil in the school.
Did you find out what the bananas were for?

Was DC4 good in the play?
um

Post by um »

The bananas were most likely for tomorrow's snack time.
I would imagine that with so many pupils off with winter viruses right now, there would be plenty spare. PLus they were in bunches...I doubt that someone, somewhere, counted every last banana :lol: there were 3 massive boxes!
My older dcs tell me that bags of fruit are left over every day after snack time.

Hmm, I don't know if dc4 was 'good' in the play.
He did his bit but was very tired, having been ill recently, so hardly projected great enthusiasm!
lara228

Post by lara228 »

I read your first post with my jaw slowly dropping further and further towards the floor - unbelievable behavour by the school secretary. I have come to the conclusion that somewhere there is a special school where they train doctors' receptionists, school secretaries and people who work in children's shoe shops!
aargh

Post by aargh »

When DD was in year 3 she and about two thirds of the cast all went down with chicken pox. That was a very odd production. DD was mortified because after twice having major roles she had finally got her chance to be an angel but could not.

I am very lucky at my own school that the secretaries are both lovely but at DCs school she is a dragon of vast terriblility. Even the teachers are scared to cross her.
If they were just for snack time then I agree there are always spare.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Incredible behaviour. What a shame they couldn't offer a 2 year old a banana. I think it's a case of jobsworth, some people seem to enjoy acting in an unhelpful manner when it comes to their place of work and take things too far. Your poor DC5. I think you could have done with being offered a banana to help keep your energy levels up. I take my hat off to you um. I thought 3 DSs created enough work. :D
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

No excuse for shouting at two year olds (except possibly your own under very extreme provocation) but I don't think I'd have given him a banana either - and I certainly wouldn't have sold one to you. In fact I might even have waited pointedly until you were almost out of earshot and then commented to my invisible friend on the dangers of buying things for children who are throwing tantrums ...... but only if I was in a very bad mood (as I believe school secretaries often are at this time of year.)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Again agree, no excuses for shouting at toddlers.(unless they are yours) A horrible experience... but can understand the school's position, however poorly enforced.
It is hard having a toddler at an older sibling's play ,but I guess at least they allow them to be there.I have had children at schools where they were strictly forbidden!
Try not to dwell on it - believe me it all passes.Tonight I am taking my little one ,who is now 7, to her older sisters' music concert at high school.Part of me would still love a toddler who cried over bananas.
Embrace the chaos - it's all part of the process.It will sadly pass. Have a great Christmas :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would have given you the banana but told mini um not to tell anyone because I would get into trouble..but then I am known as an anarchist!
vasu

Post by vasu »

Oh Um! You are commendable for keeping your cool. :)
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now