Bucks appeal - detail needed for academic ability?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tricky Situation

Bucks appeal - detail needed for academic ability?

Post by Tricky Situation »

Still feeling sore about the result - 113/117 - and, for the first time in my life, truly appreciating what the internet can do!

DS is at OOC school and the Head has been very supportive and written a wonderful report with scores 1 and 2 for academic potential and attitude. We have above-average SATs results for KS1, and every year since plus one CAT score done in September 2010 (116) and good Reading and Spelling results. It all seems to point to academic potential but we have no extenuating circumstances - or none that we made anyone aware of at the time - and I wanted to ask you what view a panel might take of the fact that our evidence is linked more to school reports than to VR-type tests. The Buckinghamshire primary schools seem to apply these tests far more often and I had no idea this was the case until I read your excellent forum.

Also, would you hazard an opinion as to whether, with good school reports but (as above) little evidence either way of the innate ability the 11+ tests for and virtually no extenuating circumstances, we would be wasting everyone's time? We feel we owe it to DS to give this a try but, like everyone else, we'll be very sore if we get a second rejection!

(Willing to supply all SATs results and scores we have via Appeals Box but wish to keep some privacy.)
Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal - detail needed for academic ability?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
I wanted to ask you what view a panel might take of the fact that our evidence is linked more to school reports than to VR-type tests.
There's no easy answer because individual panel members are free to make their own minds up about what constitutes a strong academic case.

It just seems logical to me that the more evidence of high ability an appellant has, the better .......
we have no extenuating circumstances
The academic case matters more than extenuating circumstances, although it obviously helps if there are extenuating circumstances that explain any underperformance. You might win an appeal with an academic case but no extenuating circumstances - you wouldn't win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but no academic case!
The Buckinghamshire primary schools seem to apply these tests far more often and I had no idea this was the case until I read your excellent forum.
I suspect that quite a lot of Bucks primaries don't do any alternative reasoning tests, but I would agree that the number is probably higher in OoC non-selective areas.
Also, would you hazard an opinion as to whether, with good school reports but (as above) little evidence either way of the innate ability the 11+ tests for and virtually no extenuating circumstances, we would be wasting everyone's time?
With a score of 117, and strong headteacher support, you have every right to ask for your case to be considered, and no one is going to think it a waste of time. This is not to say that the odds aren't against you - but appeals can be unpredictable!
(Willing to supply all SATs results and scores we have via Appeals Box but wish to keep some privacy.)
I'd be interested to know the individual CAT scores.
We feel we owe it to DS to give this a try but, like everyone else, we'll be very sore if we get a second rejection!
Again, no easy answer. You have to give it a try. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst! :?
Etienne
Tricky Situation

Thank you for the very speedy reply. It is very helpful.

I have sent an e-mail to the Appeals Box.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the information.

I think you should ask the school for a breakdown of the CATs. They've just given the average, but there will be individual scores for VR, Quantitative Reasoning and NVR.

I was looking to see whether there might be any significant differences. For example, a real strength in NVR wouldn't show up in a VR test, so an 11+ based on VR might not be a fair reflection of ability. (The fact that the KS2 predictions are so similar suggests that this may be unlikely, but it's something we ought to check.)

With regard to extenuating circumstances, I do think you should raise the issue you've mentioned - but wait for the question to be asked, and let the panel draw the information out of you.

Was your son tested at his school or elsewhere?

Feel free to use the Appeals box for any responses.
Etienne
Tricky Situation

Thank you again Etienne! It makes such a difference to feel that someone who knows about these things is trying to help us (and others).

His school is not a 'Partner' school and, as we are OoC, he did the tests at a school he'd never been to before, during the October half-term. He was anxious and quiet but seemed calm enough on both days.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The pressure of the 11+, combined with a strange environment, and few (if any) familiar faces around, is tough on a 10/11 year old!

It's not going to be a strong argument, because all children sitting the test centrally have to deal with the same environment, but I do think it's worth a very brief mention that OoC children are at a slight disadvantage (at least) when compared with children in Bucks and partner schools.

Again, wait for an appropriate question to be asked, and let the panel draw the information out of you. They tend to appreciate it if you're reluctant to 'dredge up' extenuating circumstances, and volunteer the information only when pressed to do so! :)
Etienne
Tricky Situation

Thank you again! Yes, it's tough if you have to give up the best part of two days of your school holiday and, no, there were no familiar faces.

I will ask for a breakdown of the CAT score and let you know. By the way, is a score of 116 good? Did I read somewhere that the average is 100 whereas, for the 11+, the average is 111? I barely knew CAT scores existed until a week ago.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

By the way, is a score of 116 good?
Very borderline for appeal purposes! I just wanted to check what the component scores were - to see if we might read anything into them.

Yes, the average is 100, whereas the average for the Bucks 11+ (which, unlike CATs, is not a national test) is usually around 111/112.
Etienne
Tricky Situation

I have sent a follow-up e-mail to the Appeals Box....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The individual scores are similar, so I think you're right that there's no particular argument to be used there.

Recent SATs levels look fine! :)
Etienne