Appeal - Abbasi420

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Abbasi420

Appeal - Abbasi420

Post by Abbasi420 »

Really worried!! My son has scored 120/118 but a 2:3 level 5 for maths but a 4a for Englsh does this sound any good? What are my chances? Please help!!

ICT, Maths and Science are one of his greatly achieved subjects as his teacher has written in the summary for the appeal that 'he is able and ver capable in maths and is always keen to rise to the challenges given' as for ICT 'he is very strong in his ICT lessons and is able to support other pupils in his class very logical and thourough when tackling practical tasks....

And looking into his last years report from year 5, attitude to work- 'he works hard and is a very responsible member of the class. he always completes homework and hand it in on time'.General and social development- 'I have enjoyed teaching him. he has a clear ambition to do well and succeed.
Heads comments- ' He demonstrates that he puts a good deal of effort into learning and consequently he is making good progress'.

He has just been given a 5 (do i need to query with the school). And English is the first language spoken at home and well as Urdu.

Will this help!! :?
Last edited by Abbasi420 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: Bucks appeal - khanj010's appeal thread

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Abbasi420

Am going to move this to a new thread for you ao you can get advice.
Etienne

Re: Appeal - Abbasi420

Post by Etienne »

Abbasi420 wrote:Really worried!! My son has scored 120/118 but a 2:3 level 5 for maths but a 4a for Englsh does this sound any good? What are my chances? Please help!!
Welcome!

Very difficult to comment without knowing more about your case.

• How good is the maths expected to be? 5a?
(We've got a sub-level for English, but no sub-level for maths.)
• Does the school have results for any standardised reasoning tests done by your son, such as CATs, that could be used as evidence?
• Is there a year 5 report with comments about very high achievement?
• Are there any extenuating circumstances that might help explain an underperformance in English or in VR (for example, is English the first language spoken at home?)?
Etienne
Abbasi420

Post by Abbasi420 »

can someone advise me on my querry. thanxs! in a desperate case!! :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Abbasi -

Etienne has suggested you let us have some more information, without this it is difficult to comment or advise.
Welcome!

Very difficult to comment without knowing more about your case.

• How good is the maths expected to be? 5a?
(We've got a sub-level for English, but no sub-level for maths.)
• Does the school have results for any standardised reasoning tests done by your son, such as CATs, that could be used as evidence?
• Is there a year 5 report with comments about very high achievement?
• Are there any extenuating circumstances that might help explain an underperformance in English or in VR (for example, is English the first language spoken at home?)?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Abbasi

I note that you have "bumped" this thread.

We are waiting for your answers to the questions that Etienne posed to you (above) 12 days ago.

When you are able to provide those, we will be happy to advise you further.

Sally-Anne
Abbasi420

Post by Abbasi420 »

Soooooo sorry been away preparing my self for the appeal his recent test scores achieved in January for Maths is a 5a and science a 5b they have not performed any tests in English and don't until the actual Sats.

I have put a portfolio together of all his achievements for this and last year. Any activities he has after school his responsibilities in school etc.

I am so nervous as the appeal date is very close, do you think I can add any recent work from his English as I have nothing to show them from this subject.

Thank you and can someone kindly guide me what to do next.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Abassi

In the portfolio of information you need to include evidence of academic ability eg SATS CATS and school reports. Also include letters / reports from Head Teacher.

Presumably you have already sent this in?

Confirmation of academic ability is the most important thing to demonstrate

Only include a small amount of out of school interests / activities / school respnsibilities UNLESS they add to the academic picture eg science clubs / chess clubs / maths competitions.

You can include some of his english work eg his most recent workbook to show the panel.
Abbasi420

Post by Abbasi420 »

Thank you for getting back so quick well appreciated!
I have already sent in his last years report in which most subjects like Maths,science and ICT he is above expectations and in English were he is meeting expectations (sound an good?). Letters from school and the GP for the extenuating circumstances, the day of the 2nd test children were distributed wrong test papers, teachers and children were not aware of this mistake until later afternoon and were sent home with an appology letter, my son was very disappointed as well as us as parents, a few days before the rescheduled paper he became I'll came down with fever and viral, but insisted he wanted to go in to school and get test over with incase another misshapen!

I haven't added tooo much on out of school activities just very briefly, the 2:3 are bit worrying as I feel the 3 may let me down, but I have many quotes from previous an recent teachers and certificates to contradict this, will it help?
Thanks for your time!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Very unfortunate and upsetting being given the wrong paper! having to do it again is understandably frustrating for the kids but have to be aware that many kids were in the same boat - was it just his school?

As for being unwell for the second test - understand that he wanted to get it over with but evidence of being unwell beforehand does not really help as they are not meant to go in and take the test if they are unwell - they should wait for the alternate day (presumably there would have to be another alternate day as the first test was invalid..?

School reports and letters from teachers will help as evidence - certificates not so much though depends what they are for etc
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now