A tight problem!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Torty

A tight problem!

Post by Torty »

Am I the only one with a tight problem!

It doesn’t matter where I buy them from (school shops, well known clothing shops etc) my DD school tights always get holes within 1 – 2 weeks of wear. :( :shock: I buy a pack of 6 so she does not wear the same ones too often. I have even bought tights that are for 14-16yr olds and she is only a slim 10yr old … so I have not bought tights too small. They always develop large holes around the crotch. :oops:

Any ideas? Does anyone else have this problem?
KS10

Re: A tight problem!

Post by KS10 »

No, it's the toe area that causes DD a problem.
Is your DD pulling them up properly? I don't actually know whether or not this makes a difference but it's worth thinking about.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Yes! But only with DD2 who is the slimmest of my three girls. We realised it's because no matter what size we buy (shes 8 and currently wearing 11-12 tights) the tights are always half mast - she's straight up and down, no waist or hips - and then she does the splits in them....

Short of teaching your DD to pull her tights right up before she does anything more acrobatic than a walk in them, I reckon the only answer is to reinforce gusset with something untearable!

:D
katel

Post by katel »

I have the solution! Two pairs of pants- one under, one over. Sorted.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Have you tried John Lewis?

We've found them very durable and they survive intact to be passed on to the youngest. :lol:
;D
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Thingsbehindthesun wrote:Have you tried John Lewis?

We've found them very durable and they survive intact to be passed on to the youngest. :lol:
I second that.
Well - apart from the bit about being passed on to the youngest - I don't think he'd wear them. :wink:
marigold

Post by marigold »

I agree, one pair of pants underneath and some of those old fashioned large navy knickers over the top. It is what I used to do and I believe my Mother still does.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Used to have this problem, but as she's gotten older (now year 9) it's gotten better, ie: she's aware they need to be pulled up properly. I buy women's tights (medium - she's about 5 foot 4") and now we've moved on to the thick woolly women's tights. 1 Pair a day - no more holes (so far :o ) :D :D
Torty

Post by Torty »

Thanks everyone ... pleased it isn't only my DD with this problem. :roll: Spending around £20 a month on tights and fed up now.

Would she be better off in ladies tights rather than childrens? She is quite tall ... just about 5ft
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think it depends what physical activity is performed whilst wearing tights..my DD is constantly destroying her tights but then again, DS2 provides me with quite a lot of darning practice too. As for me, I have to wear tights for work and it's the constant pulling up which makes the holes .( apart from the time I must have walked 100 miles and a hole appeared in the foot which my little toe poked out and I was so busy I couldn't stop to adjust...I was getting worried I might find a totally blue toe rolling around inside my shoe at the end of my shift....)

Must go on that trouser thread and read up on the positives.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now