11+ Appeal - Advice please (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gooddad

11+ Appeal - Advice please (Bucks)

Post by gooddad »

Apologies! I seem to have inadvertently deleted your post - but your questions are answered below. Etienne
Etienne

Re: 11+ Appeal - Advise please

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
What should we expect in the appeal ?
This is much too wide-ranging to be answered here. Have you seen the Q&As? If you read all the way through them, you will pick up a lot of information about what to expect, especially in sections B & E.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Similarly, the feedback section:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Look especially for Bucks appeals in January/February)
Do you think we have a good case ?
Potentially, yes.

The obvious questions are - If your son is performing so well at school, why not a '1' recommendation? Is there any evidence that extenuating circumstances 1 & 3 affected school work? Did you raise any concerns at the time about extenuating circumstance 2? Was the disturbance recorded by the invigilator?

The statistics from last year suggest you have something like a 60% chance.
Etienne
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi Etienne ,

thanks for the reply

11+ results 116/119

with regards to the 2:2 from the ht, they stated that there standard are very high, which i did not agree with as it should be based on each case , my DS has had sats all 5 in year 5 and just got his cats which were 141Q and 125v, i dont know what more they could and we could ask for.

I do feel let down by the school, looking at my son's reports over the years they could not get much better.

with regards to the extenuating circumstances

1 Brothers opp - we have a letter from the consultant and the doctors
2 Boy crying in the 2nd exam- the HT did state this and has been recorded- there is a one liner in the letter by the HT
3 The bullying has been noted by the school,

Would it be worth getting a copy of my son's school records , i think i have to request these in writing from teh school
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

gooddad wrote:
with regards to the 2:2 from the ht, they stated that there standard are very high
This could be the perfect explanation. Assuming it's a Bucks or partner school, there will be an appendix to the appeal papers giving a breakdown of the head's recommendations/children qualifying. If the head has been rather strict, it could well work to your advantage! :)

'1' recommendations become somewhat devalued when it looks as if a headteacher has been markedly 'over-optimistic'!

Better to have a strict '2' than an over-optimistic '1'!
2 Boy crying in the 2nd exam- the HT did state this and has been recorded- there is a one liner in the letter by the HT
This is good, although ideally there would be some evidence relating to the actual effect on your son. (Was his school work affected? Did the school notice anything unusual?)

Having said that, I think the evidence you have could well be sufficient for a score of 119.
Would it be worth getting a copy of my son's school records
I don't think so. This is something parents might need to resort to in situations where the school is refusing point blank to co-operate and to make information available.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just to add my thoughts to those of Etienne.
gooddad wrote:11+ results 116/119
Going in the right direction ...
my DS has had sats all 5 in year 5 and just got his cats which were 141Q and 125v, i dont know what more they could and we could ask for.
I'm not sure either! :D "Stronger mathematical ability (141 is the maximum score) than verbal, and the test may not have allowed him to show his real strengths ..." Did he also do a Non Verbal CAT? If so, what was the score for that?
With the evidence you have, I really do think you must not make too much of all of this. Let the panel absolutely drag it all out of you.
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi Etienne, Sally-Anne

Thank for you advise, :wink:

Non Verbal CAT will be don in Jan 2012, so i am hoping that we have the results of there before the appeal, Can i ask a few questions,

How long should our presentation be.

I am planning on not talking about any extenuating circumstances in the appeal as there have been documented with the application, I will be ONLY informing the panel why i think my son is best suited for GS

I am planning on taking a few of my DS school work books

Outlining the outstanding points from his school reports

Is there any thing else i should be include, I.e how the family has supported the local Community, what outside activities my son and my family are involved with ?

Any advise ? is there any thing i am missing ?

Once again thank you for all your support
Gooddad
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

How long should our presentation be.
The shortest are up to 5 minutes. :)
The longest tend to be 15+ minutes. :roll:

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am planning on not talking about any extenuating circumstances in the appeal as there have been documented with the application, I will be ONLY informing the panel why i think my son is best suited for GS
It needs to be 'best suited' in terms of high achievement and academic potential.
Outlining the outstanding points from his school reports
OK - if this means focusing on high achievement / academic ability.
Is there any thing else i should be include, I.e how the family has supported the local Community, what outside activities my son and my family are involved with ?
No!!!
Any advise ? is there any thing i am missing ?
It would be worth reading right through the Q&As, especially sections B & E - there may be some points you have missed. :wink:
Once again thank you for all your support
You're very welcome!
Etienne
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi Etienne

Thank You for all your help

I have requested remark of my DS papers, Hoping to have the results of this back in a few days, I don't think there will be any change but with a scour of 119 it was worth a try

Can i ask another q , We did ask the HT if we can ask his your 5 teacher to write a letter , but it was said that the HT report will be all that i will need

My DS yr 5 teacher loved my DS , and i think it would be worth going to her and asking for a letter which could inclue his academic potential ?

Thanks
gooddad
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We did ask the HT if we can ask his your 5 teacher to write a letter , but it was said that the HT report will be all that i will need

My DS yr 5 teacher loved my DS , and i think it would be worth going to her and asking for a letter which could inclue his academic potential ?
Most appeals come with just the headteacher's statement.
A minority come with an additional letter from the year 6 teacher.
Very few have a letter from the year 5 teacher.

You could try asking - but it may be contrary to school policy.

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi Etienne

One thing i would like to confirm

I have put all the academic results in teh application for appeal, so when i the appeal , would i not just be covering the same again ?

I know i will be talking about how my DS works at home and how he enjoys school and his love for reading and writing etc .. etc

Thanks
Last edited by gooddad on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now