persistent silly mistakes

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

flicka

persistent silly mistakes

Post by flicka »

Any tips on what to do with a DS who persists in making silly mistakes, even when you know he actually knows all the maths in a paper?
I am getting a bit fed up with going - "you would have had a really good mark, IF you hadn't made such silly mistakes".
I KNOW he can do it all, but he just is so slapdash and hurried.
JaneEyre

Re: persistent silly mistakes

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Flicka,

Errare humanum est! So don't worry, your DS is unfortunately not the only one to do silly mistakes! :roll:

I remember a poster who said last year that she used this method to try to diminish them:
she encouraged her DS to check for silly mistakes in his maths papers by offering him £1 a paper for no silly mistake and 20p off for each one...

Maybe that could work for your DS if you use a similar approach?

Good luck!

JaneEyre

Avec le temps et la patience, la feuille du mûrier devient de la soie.
Proverbe chinois

La patience est amère, mais son fruit est doux.
Proverbe français
11plusmad

Post by 11plusmad »

AARGG tell me about it exactly like my son. He is v sporty and am constantly telling him not to approach his maths like his races! I think money bribes are a great idea. he has been studying the peter robson series independently and has done really well. Get him to attempt word problems and he just struggles so much! It is so frustrating for me as I know he handles numbers so well not words. ''Read the question''I say like a parrot every time! Surely there has to be a way to help him. Any advice greatly appreciated.
WP

Post by WP »

You could flag the silly mistakes and get him to do them again and notice what he did wrong (so the path of least resistance is to get them right the first time).
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Hi

My DS sometimes does make silly mistakes as well. On wordy questions, if he has doubts on a particular question, he would yell for my help. I would then make him read the question two more times and if he doesn't get it after that, I would read it out loud and slowly, at the same time high lighting important words in the question as I read along. This helps not only to train him reading the question loud and slow in his head in the future but also makes him pin point the critical words that change the question completely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now