11+ reading Comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BusyQueenBee

11+ reading Comprehension

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Hello,
in the 11+, should DS answer reading comprehensions with long sentences or short ones as in:
-question: What was the name of the dog?
-long answer: The name of the dog was Snowy.
-short answer: Snowy.
Or:
-question: Why was Annie upset?
-long: She was upset because her dog had died.
-short: Because her dog had died.
What is the norm in the 11+ exams? Should he answer long or short? :?
Last edited by BusyQueenBee on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
svg123

Re: 11+ reading Comprehension

Post by svg123 »

I always encourage my DS to answer in full as I think its better to cultivate one habit ie. to answer in as much detail as he can.
I hope this helps but I know views differ from parent to parent.
tedolita

Post by tedolita »

I'm not an expert (I'm sure someone more qualified will come along soon), but for personal experience, I would recommend the long one. I fought a constant battle with my DS2 over this. His teachers were always complaining that his writing did not reflect the knowledge and the variety of vocabulary he had. He would had answered your questions as 1- Snowy. and 2- Dog Died. But then again, he takes being laid back to a new dimension.... :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'd be interested to hear what is expected in the actual exam. DS has, so far this term, with two different teachers, been asked to give full-sentence answers and also v short ones such as "snowy white", instead of "The polar bear's fur was snowy white.". What do the grammar schools ask for in answering English comprehension questions? And do the independents ask for something different?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
sonathe

Post by sonathe »

Barcelona wrote:Hello,
I am confused whether DS should answer reading comprehensions with long sentences or short ones

It's best to use full sentences during practice as it also helps with sentence formation & grammar. It also helps with time keeping as you know you will surely be able to finish the exam on time with short answers if you can with the longer ones (esp as some schools give really long passages which take time to read & comprehend).

It's best to tell your child to carry on writing full sentences for answers as that is what they have to do in their future (after 11+) exams anyway so it becomes a good habit. But about 2-3 days before the 11+ discuss it with them & let them know that short answers are acceptable if they are pushed for time in the exam.

Schools do not penalize children for writing short answers (check the Latymer marking scheme & Habs sample papers) as long as the answer is correct. They know that time is limited & kids are under pressure.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Sonathe,
thanks. re marking scheme, do you mean Latymer Upper or Edmonton? Is it on the web?
sonathe

Post by sonathe »

Barcelona wrote:Sonathe,
thanks. re marking scheme, do you mean Latymer Upper or Edmonton? Is it on the web?

Latymer in Edmonton - the marking scheme is sold with the sample papers so afraid it's not available online
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I tutor in English for 11+ Sutton and Indies, and always tell students to write full sentences. Some schools are expressly looking for this, others will accept short answers, but full sentences give a better impression. The art is to keep the grammar simple. One student asked me yesterday whether he had to parrot back a very lengthy question. Often parroting the question helps clarify the answer, but in the case of long questions, a short full sentence is the best reply.

E.g.Qu: In Tintin, the Secret of the Unicorn, what is the name of the protagonist's dog?

It would be a waste of time to answer: In Tintin, The Secret of the Unicorn, the name of the protagonist's dog is Snowy.

The dog is called Snowy is perfect.
moved

Post by moved »

I think it would depend on your region and your exam, but I would always recommend the full answer. I require my pupils to answer in full and this is a requirement for our local exam.
motion

Post by motion »

some papers do state if short or long answer are required
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now