Colet Court first round on 5th Dec

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vp

Colet Court first round on 5th Dec

Post by vp »

Are there any parents here whose son did the Colet Court exams last year and would like to share the experience of how difficult the papers are.

First round is VR, then English and Marhs in the beginning of Feb. if your sons did it last year, how was the VR compared to grammar school say QEB?

How about English and Maths paper? How are they compared to Haberdashers boys In Herts?

Thank you
descartesandsocrates

Re: Colet Court first round on 5th Dec

Post by descartesandsocrates »

Hi,

This is from a pupil who sat the exam a year or two ago. The 'screening' test was rather easy for me - high standard VR questions, which were from University of Edinburgh '70s paper. Then the English test and Maths were of a very high standard - but I got into the interviews. The interviews, to me, was the harshest - where they would give incredibly difficult questions on your weakest subject (for me that was Maths).

But I ended up getting into there and getting a meagre scholarship! :D *but I went with my overall preference, which is to HABS'.

I would also like to point out I am from an ethnic minority.

Thanking you

descartesandsocrates
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Hi

Thank you for your post. We heard last week that DS went through to the second round. How are the English and Maths co
compared to Habs in terms of level of difficulty?

Would you mind sharing with us what particular technical questions were asked in your interview?

Thanks a mil.
descartesandsocrates

Firstly, congratulations to your son. Your question is slightly difficult to answer. As you might now, Habs' test papers are quite inconsistent in the levels of hardness, though are generally set to challenge. In maths, when I sat the paper (that is in 2010), I would say that Habs was harder. At St Pauls, if you knew the most advanced parts of the syllabus (id est - algebra), your son would perform well.

Their test paper questions are of very high standard and are based on the book, So you really want to learn Maths Book 1. However, the test I found difficult - out of all the papers (that is, John Lyon, Watford Grammar, City of London, St Pauls, MTS and Habs) was the, undoubtedly, the HABs Maths paper. HABs maths had everything in the curriculum but you had to be first- for they would give very challenging questions. For example, in my year, they taught the 'base' number system - which you had to apply your knowledge to, and can be quite time-consuming. I found the penultimate question so difficult to think through, I left it out!

The Habs English in my year was of 13+ standard and their marking scheme were very pedantic (and according to our English teacher, 1 mark was lost for each grammar, punctuation, syntax error!) However, last year's examination paper seems to be fairly easy (though that compensated into the Interview, which had tougher questions). St Pauls' English was by far more difficult and that explained why almost 1/2 the pupils did not get into the interview round.

It depends, really. At Habs they did examinations to find who had some talent (and when I first started Habs I was quite surprised at the slightly low-standard of my friends in the class - but because of their skill they're all incredibly clever now). At St Pauls, their examinations was more corely to find the creme de la creme (apologies - their isn't a tool for French accents!).

St Pauls is a very good school, without doubt. Their interview questions, to me, started with some English (where I discussed reading through The White Tiger and we talked a bit about the Man Booker Prize). It was done by a friendly teacher, so your son will probably be encouraged by that! However, the Maths was done by a slightly intimidating teacher.

He asked the following mental maths questions -

24 x 25
A gelosia-strip grid
Applying your knowledge to a Venn Diagram
And the square root of 0.09

Since I panicked on the first one, which was really quite simple, I did slightly badly on the other ones - but my love of the school, English and the former test results helped me to get an admission there. There interview questions were not done in a group.

For HABs (if you are considering), they had both a group and single interview, and meanwhile the teachers talked with the parents (which probably also took count). In the group interview, we were given this picture: http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/henry8pope.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We were told to analyse it. We were then asked about who our hero was.

Then in our single interviews, we read a passage and were tested on things such as vocabulary, general knowledge and cheerfulness (the most sobre of people from my class or the most dull did not get past this level).

Hope that helped and hope to hear from you soon,

descartesandsocrates
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Thank you Descartesansocrates, your reply was very detailed. Yes, we are also considering Habs but due to its location, it is actually the last school on our wish list. DS tried the Habs Maths papers and found them harder than others (he also tried city of London girls, st Paul's girls, Bancroft etc) and his scores were around the high 80s.

Would you mind telling us whether you won a scholarship at Habs?
descartesandsocrates

It was St Pauls location which put us off and a few minor aspects, just the reverse of your choice!

I did get an academic one, but not too much (10%)...

As much as scholarships signify something for 11+ , it is how well you do ONCE you get into the school. For instance, there are some boys in my class who, I feel, are more worthy to have this scholarship than me - as they do, in there lessons, equally as well.

Scholarships helped my parents on financial aspects, but our school generally treats scholars and entrees alike with equality (almost).

Any more questions I am more than happy to help!

Good luck to your son on getting into St Pauls,

descartesandsocrates
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

How on earth would you, as a pupil, know that the VR questions were from the University of Edinburgh 70s paper? Genuine question, seems a bit odd. My sons would have had no idea. And why would you, as a pupil, be posting on here? My sons are busy on Facebook and BBM.

And how do you know that at Habs last year the paper was easier than the year you sat it, but the interview questions were harder? Really - who tells you this stuff?
descartesandsocrates

Hi,
I know that the VR was something in the 70s, University of Edinburgh because I obviously saw the paper and those were the few things that stayed in my memory (I have quite good visual memory).

Oh, I'm busy on school emails, Facebook (though I wouldn't want to have many friends from this forum :wink: !) but I remember Year 6 and I just thought - heck, if I want to feel good as to helping someone this Winter why can't it be parents and pupils to do their 11+? I mean community service is another story but the Winter holidays is a long time and even if there are the replays of Only Fools and Doctor Who, Merlin, etc. on television and going out-and-about, now it's the holidays, friends are so busy going here and there, there isn't much conversation!

As for how the Habs maths paper was easier this year is quite straightfoward: I printed off 2011 as a practice for my sister (who is to do her 11+ not too long now) and the questions are easier. Also, when I was helping out on the examination day itself, they gave more multiple choice questions for English comprehension, the format seemed easier and the 'tough' questions weren't as tough as the one I did.

I was just talking to a boy who got in this year (a Year 7) and how the 11+ was (we had nothing else to talk about after a lengthy talk about X Factor's Janet Devlin and Strictly...), he told me the interview questions and it seemed more difficult. The teachers even told us they gave more difficult 11+ interview questions for Habs' Year 7.

I don't like BBM...
Thanks for the pleasant questions everyone (good prep for being a politician...)
Camphillian

Post by Camphillian »

You're up late tonight. My Year 8 son has to be in bed by 9.00 pm - he is still only 12 though.
descartesandsocrates

Normally, on a school-night rota, I sleep at 10:00, wake up at 4:50 - 5:10 am.

Its the holidays, so I stay up a bit late (until everyone turns the light off) and wake up at 6:00 - 6:30...

Is your son at Habs? Just wondering...

descartesandsocrates
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now