Holiday destinations

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jallebi

Holiday destinations

Post by Jallebi »

I'm looking for any good holiday destinations for our family of various ages,( kids range from 11 to 2yrs) The eldest wants adventure in some remote destination,but Mrs Jallebi wants something more relaxing with the little one in tow. Any good compromises that can be recommended?
thanks
poiuyt

Re: Holiday destinations

Post by poiuyt »

Langkawi everytime
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I suppose some of the European resorts (Spain, Portugal etc) must be family friendly as so many people go every year but I have never been and don't know whether they would be to your taste. Granada has a lot to explore if you want.

I would recommend Turkey or Egypt. Turkey has great architecture, history, bazaars, food etc and you could mix it with some days on the beach - there are plenty of quiet beaches or isolated villas available to rent.

Egypt is my favourite destination though - there is so much to do - but be warned, it can be much more chaotic (although that is what I love about it!). The hustle and bustle of Cairo, the mosques and architecture of old Cairo, the museums, the pyramids are always a hit (you can have the horse carts take you around and the illuminations at night). There are also the restaurants on the boats that can be very nice at sunset. There are some beautiful hotels along the Nile. A few days in Cairo is usually enough though as you will be sick of traffic by then. Oh and of course, now you must get your photo taken in Tahrir Square as well!

Then you can head off down the Nile on a cruise and see Luxor (but I wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat with my 3 year old) or head off to the beach - Red Sea is beautiful, you can go snorkling and the beaches are great. Or, as I prefer, go to the resorts along the Mediterranean coast - they still feel like Egypt and there are some really quiet ones where you can relax with just a few other (mainly ex-pat Egyptian) families or go to the larger ones where they have all the restaurants and entertainment you need. And there is also Alexandria, the traditional holiday destination of Egyptians.

And before you ask, no, I don't work for the Egyptian tourist board! I have been many times, and have still not ticked off all my to-do list when I get there.
UmSusu
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would love to go to Egypt some time, but I thought the advice at the moment was to steer clear of Cairo? Also, would it be boiling hot in the summer?
scary mum
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

July/August is really hot. The ideal time is April - June in terms of weather, but unless you are going to the Red Sea the beaches on the North coast have a lot more going on in terms of activities for the children over the summer.

Not sure about the travel advice as I never check it. I suppose that it would wise to avoid late June/early July in case there is any fall out from the presidential elections.
UmSusu
Jallebi

Post by Jallebi »

Thanks for the suggestions, Egypt does sound ideal but I am a little nervous because of the political unrest. Maybe Turkey is an option worth considering.....
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Surfing in Cornwall?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

If it's adventure you want, have you looked at a company called Exodus. They do family adventure holidays and really look after all the family's needs. We did a holiday last summer with them to the far East and it was our best family holiday by a mile. They do a family adventure to Morroco that is aimed at families with toddlers too. It could be worth a google!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Florida. Stay in the hotel at the pool or go on all the Disney/theme parks?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Scandinavia. Clean beaches, beautiful scenery, safe but vibrant cities, very child friendly and summers are beautifully warm without being scorching. It isn't crowded. My last lot of holiday photos look as if they were taken in the Carribean but actually they are from a remote Swedish beach. Adventure in shedloads if you like the outdoors - glaciers,waterfalls and mountains to shame New Zealand and you can camp and cook on open fires anywhere you like pretty much. It isn't expensive, unless you eat out a lot in Norway, and you can hire really top quality wooden houses at less than you would spend on something similar but grottier in very crowded parts of the UK. Even the public toilets are clean. Driving is a pleasure, shopping is as close to a pleasure as it gets, and you can get really yummy food very easily. Everyone speaks perfect English.

And the light.... :shock: :D

To be honest I am amazed that more Brits don't go there.