Burnham..score of 115..is it good idea to appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anxiousp

Burnham..score of 115..is it good idea to appeal?

Post by anxiousp »

Hi all,
It is my first time here...so apologise in advance if i make nay mistakes.
My daughters best friend has got a score of 115 in burnham school..she is on level 4A's and 5C's at school...a very shy child who is eager to learn....her parents do not have english as their first language and are unable to help with studies much at home...since a year she has been studying with me and my daughter and her levels have risen considerably....i believe that she needs a push and she can do very well academically.....her parents are thinking of appealing ..after some of us suggested this to them,,,,I wanted to know what everyone thinks as to wether they should go through with appeal process and what her chances could be? with the right support she can excel in studies....she is very very good in art and design technology.
Thank to all.
Etienne

Re: Burnham..score of 115..is it good idea to appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

The fact that you mention only one score, and highlight "Burnham School", makes me want to check whether this was a year 6 child, sitting the Bucks 11+?
Etienne
anxiousp

Post by anxiousp »

Hi,
Thank u Etienne...yes she is in Yr6 and sat the Bucks 11+.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks.

1. What was the other 11+ score?
2. What level is she working at for English?
3. For maths?
4. For science?
5. Do we know whether the current headteacher would support an appeal?
Etienne
anxiousp

Post by anxiousp »

Etienne....apologises for a late reply...
Her other score was lower it was 106. She is currently on Level 4A for English which is the highest in her class at the moment. In maths she is again on 4A. As far as the headteacher is concerned we havent spoken to her but had spoken to the class teaher who didnt seem so keen...even before the tests she had kept telling her class that going to grammar schools is too much work and the children will get too much homework and they should not apply for the grammars..I knw some parents who said tht there kids were very discouraged after hearing the teaher comments.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Minor point, but is it relevant that the OP is hoping for a place at Burnham? Won't an appeal be for qualification status only ie regardless of the school hoped for?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

drummer wrote:Minor point, but is it relevant that the OP is hoping for a place at Burnham? Won't an appeal be for qualification status only ie regardless of the school hoped for?
I'm not sure if the test was taken at Burnham, or if the child would like to go to BGS, but I agree - the appeal is definitely for qualification only.
Her other score was lower it was 106. She is currently on Level 4A for English which is the highest in her class at the moment. In maths she is again on 4A.
I'm sorry to say, anxiousp, that a score of 115 has only a 15% or so chance of success, based on last year's figures. In reality the chance of success could be lower, because the panel will certainly notice the 106.

It looks as if she is on target for 5c in English and maths, which is just about acceptable. 5a/b would have been better.

It sounds as if support from the school might be lukewarm.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but my feeling at the moment is that, without a lot more evidence of high ability, an appeal is unlikely to succeed.
Etienne
anxiousp

Post by anxiousp »

Etienne,
That is wht I am feeling now....the other option is no to appeal and prepare for SATS and +12
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now