Choosing between Bucks grammar or going private e.g.MTS Habs

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tumpa

Choosing between Bucks grammar or going private e.g.MTS Habs

Post by tumpa »

Hi
Would be interested to getr view from all out there on this topic.Sorry if this is a repeat as i don't seem to find anything similar in the forum.
We are preparing for 11 plus next year. The targets are usual - Dr Challoners, QE boys, Tiffin, st Olaves amongst the non-fee paying ones and amongst the Indies Habs, MTS, Latymer Upper, John Lyon. The question that is bothering me is what if I have (good) problem of choice b/w certain Grammar and private schools.
I guess other way of asking would be is it worth paying the high fees in a well known Indie if you have an option of well known Grammar such as QE, Challoner?
Would be keen to know everyones view/choice (appreciate that circumstances can be unique to every individual). What would be the choice in case you have following scenarios (in my case I can possibly happily stretch myself for fees for 2 DS, sacrificing a few other things and lots of Hols).
Choice b/w Dr Challoner and MTS?
Choice b/w Dr Challoner and Habs?
Choice b/w QE Boys and Habs?
Choice b/w Dr Challoner and Parmiters?
Any insights into these schools and relative preference would be really helpful.
I am almost on the verge of planning to shift to Bucks with Challoners in mind as a minimum option.
Guest55

Re: Choosing between Bucks grammar or going private e.g.MTS

Post by Guest55 »

To be able to apply for DCGS you need to be in catchment by April this year ...
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Other things to take into consideration would be:

1) the daily distance travelled for both schools-easy or a pain?
2) have you been to open days, to get a feel for each school?
3) If your child has special needs, how would each school appraoch this?
4) What facilities do both schools have ?
5)Where do you think your son will fit in the best?
;D
tumpa

Post by tumpa »

The plan to move house to Amersham is to be in catchment before April. Travel distance etc are not really importan as we will plan house etc around school choice. What I am really after is how does everyone in this forum feel and would choose if there is a choice to choose b/w say DCGS and MTS, or DCGS and Habs?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You also need to be sure your DS will qualify for a Bucks GS -

My advice would be to visit each school - you need to know it will suit your child.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Tumpa, I think what you are primarily paying for are the facilities and extracurricular activities. For example, Merchant Taylors’ has its own lake for sailing and its own fencing salon. It also offers CCF, which would give your son a taste of being in the Armed Forces if that was of interest to him (you?). Of course, you can access all such activities outside of school, but there are obviously advantages of having it all to hand.

Academically speaking I don’t think DCGS suffers at all in comparison with MTS and as a long-established all-boys school DCGS actually has a very similar feel to a public school anyway. I’m afraid I don’t have any direct knowledge of the other schools you are asking about.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Rob Clark wrote:Hi Tumpa, I think what you are primarily paying for are the facilities and extracurricular activities. For example, Merchant Taylors’ has its own lake for sailing and its own fencing salon. It also offers CCF, which would give your son a taste of being in the Armed Forces if that was of interest to him (you?). Of course, you can access all such activities outside of school, but there are obviously advantages of having it all to hand.
We chose to go the Indie route because we have no grammar schools in the area (that will teach us not to plan ahead when we chose our current location :cry: ) The school has extensive sports facilities, a cadet force etc etc etc but given a choice I'd go for the good GS and put the money saved into outside school activities and maybe weekend/evening tuition as they approach their GCSEs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now