Wandsworth test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WimbledonMum

Wandsworth test

Post by WimbledonMum »

My first time posting here, and sorry to post this in Surrey, but there doesn't seem to be a London section. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction...
I'm interested in Tooting Graveney (among others) for my son (currently Yr 5), so wondered whether anyone had any ideas on suitable prep materials to get him accustomed to the format the test will take.
Many thanks.
Sally-Anne

Re: Wandsworth test

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi WimbledonMum, and welcome!

There is no London section because the schools in some boroughs are only partially selective, and some other areas fall into that category as well, as you can see here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -selective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The "Herts" section only exists because a minority of schools (in Enfield and Barnet!) are wholly selective.

I have always vaguely felt that the partially selective schools that fall outside of other 11+ regions are poorly served on here, so I will think on it and have a chat with the site owner.

The test in Wandsworth is GL Assessment, VR and NVR, multiple choice. If you download the document on this page and look at Section Four you will find confirmation of that.
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/ ... 012/200086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can use the recommended practice materials for all 11+ areas that use GL VR and NVR materials. Bucks CC use their VR papers, so any posts on Bucks or elsewhere by Patricia will be very helpful. Steve, Alex and yoyo123 (among others) are good sources of advice for NVR, so look for their posts.

Sally-Anne
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

Thank you. A general London schools with selective streams thread would be v helpful for me - provided there were others with opinions/info, obviously!
Anyone with info on Chestnut Grove and the kind of level the school is looking for re the languages aptitude stream would be gratefully received too.
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Peppermint Patty

Post by Peppermint Patty »

Hi WimbledonMum

My son goes to Graveney and won a place through the Wandsworth test. We used Bond VR and NVR practice papers from year five and aimed to practise every day. It's important to understand that the Wandsworth test is staggered - the papers are split into sections, and each section is taken away after so many minutes, which means those taking it have to be not only accurate, they have to be accurate and quick at the same time. There is virtually no opportunity to go back and check answers for mistakes.

Hope that helps - good luck!
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

Thanks for the ppointers, PP - much appreciated!
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

By the way: are you happy with Graveney?
Peppermint Patty

Post by Peppermint Patty »

Yes, very much so and so is my DS. The work is demanding in the top streams - he has an hour's homework every night and much more at weekends.

But I'm impressed by the high standards of work and teaching, the high expectations and the way he's been challenged to think for himself and express his ideas clearly. There's a quiet confidence among the staff and pupils that I think encourages him - and he has fun, too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now