City of London Boys 11+ exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vivienphung

City of London Boys 11+ exam

Post by vivienphung »

Hi all

Did you have feedback from your DS about today's exam?

DS found the reasoning and Maths easy, English was harder than these two.

Love to hear any feedback you may have had.
Yoch

Re: City of London Boys 11+ exam

Post by Yoch »

Similar comments although missed out a couple on reasoning. Did your son apply for other schools? Out of curiosity how did he say City compared to those?
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Hi

DS applied for 6 public schools within London and Habs. He still has 3 more exams to go. He found the Habs Maths rather difficult as expected but he is invited back to the interview this week. Other exams he did he found them ok.
Yoch

Post by Yoch »

How did he find the English at Habs in comparison to City?
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

He thought City's English was harder, hopefully it is compensated by Maths which he found easier.
mamakiso

Post by mamakiso »

Hi

My DS did city and he found the English tough, ran out of time! Maths and reason were good. He did Dulwich and found that all much easier. He's had the Dulwich interview already, so its all fingers crossed
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

DS somehow just remembered to tell me the last 10 questions in the Maths paper were given very cruel marking scheme - 1 mark for correct answer but 1 mark deducted for incorrect one.

Although he was still confident about his Maths paper but I found this marking scheme rediculous. It kills the spirit of doing Maths questions in that usually part of the marks are awarded for showing correct calculations despite the answers on the line are wrong.
questions

Post by questions »

Vivien, they sometimes use that sort of marking in the primary maths challenge and I think the reasoning behind it is actually quite good. The mark scheme is only used for the last few (and hardest) questions so doesn't generally discourage you from answering everything for fear of negative marks!

The marking scheme rewards those who have made it that far in the exam and have the maths ability to confidently work out the answers, but discourages those trying to pick up easy marks by guessing the last few answers in a rush in the last few minutes.
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Hi Questions

Thank you for explaining.

I agree completely if the questions are multiple choice as the mark deduction for incorrect answer would discourage people guessing the answers in a hurry. I was told the city questions are not multiple choice.

This marking scheme would be unfair to a slightly better than average boy who made an attempt to do the last 10 questions and for arguement sake, say 4 questions were correct so he had 2 negative marks. Comparing him with an average boy who did not make any attempt on the last 10 questions but did equally good as the first boy in the other questions, the better than average boy would have got 2 marks less than the second boy.

This scheme would only be fair if there is a cap to the first whatever number of questions so the negative marks in the last 10 would not drag this lower.
mamakiso

Post by mamakiso »

hi

I've posted another topic but thought I'll tap into this one as well. Has anyone heard about interviews? Got a call from the school today inviting DS for interview on 3rd February!